Abdominal distention, constipation, and fecal implants

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
kcarlton
New User

Abdominal distention, constipation, and fecal implants

Postby kcarlton » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:49 am

Hi,

I found this group last year when I was diagnosed with C. Diff. At the time I had some digestive problems like food intolerances but nothing drastic. I don't have D but instead have to take 1,000 mg magnesium citrate at night so I have a bowel movement in the morning.

For a while I was feeling better and the food intolerances were reduced but some time in September last year I started having abdominal distention a lot. I would go 14 days with a distended abdomen - 24/7 - then maybe 2 days without only for it to start up again. On 11/18/2008 my abdomen got bigger and bigger throughout the day and it has not gone away. At night, after I have eaten, it's worse that in the morning. I now take 1, 400 mg of magnesium citrate and still don't have a bowel movement at times.

My question is, could the constipation and abdominal distention be from C. Diff? Everybody else seems to complain about D and cramping. He wants to re-tests with a stool test which tests for A & B toxins but I have read that there are often false negatives. So I might spend the money on another test but if it comes back negative I am going to question if it's correct.

Also, how do you find a doctor who does fecal implants? I got Dr. Borody's instructions on how to do it myself at home, but I just don't think I can take somebody else's feces and mix it with saline in a blender. And I would worry that the person I got if from really has healthy flora. I mean, how do you really know?

My doctor wants to treat with Tinidazole for 2 weeks if the test comes back positive but I haven't decided on that yet. My gut flora is already compromised and I feel taking an anti-biotic would just make things worse - unless I could follow it up with some fecal implants.

Thanks,
Kristina

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:54 pm

Kristina,
It is not clear to me. Do you currently have cdiff? If not, and you are not on any antibiotics, you have a better chance of getting a correct test result, that is, not a false negative.

I have heard of people having constipation during cdiff, but it is rare. After cdiff about 1 in 5 people are left with IBS, which can cause constipation, D, or both. I don't know about abdominal distention.

See the FAQ section under Doctors for info about docs who do fecal transplants. Several folks here have gone to Duluth, MN, to have these done. They will have a number of tests done on donor feces. What I heard when I had cdiff was that they required 3 positive test results before they would do a fecal transplant. I only tested positive once in my 8 months of cdiff, so I was never a candidate.

kcarlton
New User

Postby kcarlton » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:10 pm

Hi Nancy,

Thank you for the reply. I don't know if I have C. Diff. I tested positive to A & B toxins last year in May. I took a course of probiotics and S. boulardii but was never retested. Now that I have abdominal distention every day and the constipation is worse than before, my doc wants to re-tests for C. Diff. I am not taking any antibiotics and have not taken any since 2007 - which might be how I got C. Diff to begin with, or an overgrowth - not sure what the correct term is.

I have another question - a friend in Germany who is a naturopath indicated that C. Diff prefers protein as its food source. I thought bacteria like sugar and starches which I have been avoiding. I feel much better on moderate protein, high fat, and some veggies. If I have to cut out protein I am not sure what I would eat.

Thanks,
Kristina

kcarlton
New User

Postby kcarlton » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:25 pm

Hi Roy,

I read about the toxin test so I guess I that's what I should opt for. I had an abdominal ultrasound, a trans-vaginal ultrasound, and a colonoscopy and everything came back normal. I guess the next thing would be a CT scan or X-ray to see if there is a blockage. My problem is I don't have insurance right now and while I could probably afford the doctor's appointment, IF a CT or even MRI was requested by the doctor I could not afford that right now. I am not sure what to do since it seems to be getting worse. I dread eating because by evening my abdomen is so distended it hurts.

Yes, there were other tests done with that stool test and it indicated I have pathogen/bacterial overgrowth (klebsiella/enterobacter/serratia group - moderate, and enterococcus species abundant), positive for the C. diff toxins, elevated Alpha Anti-chymotrypsin (195) according to the labs reference ranges = colonic inflammation, low pancreatic enzyme output, total intestinal SIgA too low, and positive for salivary toxoplasma Ab SIga.

I am not sure what could be causing the abdominal distention but it's very frustrating, uncomfortable, and a little scary. I find it hard to believe as well that it's from C. Diff since I never had the typical symptoms but took the probiotics and s. boulardii anyhow.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated because I feel I am about to go nuts. Not knowing the cause of my symptoms is the hardest thing because what ever treatment I pursue me be in vain.

Where can I get the toxin test? My doctor does not seem to be aware of it. Is that a blood test or stool test?

Thanks,
Kristina

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:32 pm

Kristina,

I am one of the rare ones that suffered from constipation right after my first dose of vanco. It was a huge problem for me for months. I saw a new GI doc in November last year, who thought I had bacterial overgrowth and wanted to put me on an antibiotic. Naturally, I was too afraid of this and read where it can cause C Diff, so I said "no thanks". Luckily, since the day after Christmas, I haven't had a bad day (knocking on wood), and things seem to be working themselves out. I do expect bad days ahead. I've gone for months feeling well, and then out of nowhere I feel bad again.

I'm not sure why you weren't put on medication if you tested positive. I don't really know what's going on with you right now, but it sounds like you need to see your doc and possibly have some tests done. I was bloated for months, but I don't think I ever experienced the abdominal distention to the degree that you're talking about.

I hope you test negative for C Diff and the doc can figure out what is going on with you!

Please let us know how your'e doing,

Karen

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:55 pm

Just wanted to clarify, I was tested for C Diff in November last year and it was negative. Would definitely have taken meds for C Diff if I had it!

I couldn't afford the medical care that I get if it weren't for the fact that I applied as a "hardship case" with Duke because of my low income. Many people aren't aware they can do this at various hospitals; they also have many clinics and that's where I see my PCP and get all of my tests done (colonoscopy, endoscopy, stool tests, etc). Thank God for Duke! Check with your local hospitals. I actually got treated there first, then when I got the bills I made the calls asking for help. Perhaps you could find financial help somewhere.

Wishing you the best...Karen

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:54 am

Your right in that your symptoms don't fit the bill for c diff. I see that you have checked out every other avenue to see if something else is going on and other then high bacteria levels haven't found much. With c diff testing you will have to ask but here they will refuse to test solid stool and instead of the dr telling you that they will just tell you it was negative so make sure if they tell it was negative that you ask if they were able to test it. I would lean more towards the other bacteria causing your symptoms but who knows. All that being said I know when I was reading through case histories that I saw one with a child who had the same symptoms, constipation and bloating and it was diagnosed as c diff so even though it is extremely rare I guess it has happened. I will pray for you and hope you find a way to get to feeling better soon!
Amanda

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:45 pm

kcarlton,
See FAQ-Tests-C. diff. It lists most of the tests for C. diff.

Abdominal detress & some bloating are characteristic of many GI problems, including C. diff. -- esp. if you have constipation -- and IBS. (See FAQ-IBS & FAQ-Three Day Rule. I would see a doc. (preferably a GI or an ID) as others suggested.

Try a heating pad for the pain. Won't "cure" anything but might make you feel better.

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:33 pm

Kcarlton- Have you tried just letting your bowel move on its own without the purging with citrate? I know from time to time I have had serious constipation problems (though not for a long, long time now) and taking metamucil (3X a day) for 3 days and then once a day really turned things around for me. All of the others benefiber, citracel etc. did not work but actually made things worse. Also if you take the metamucil for more than 3 days at 3X per day it can bound you up (or at least in my case.) Going back to once a day was the solution for me and worked until all my other problems kicked in. Your system can get dependent on laxative type stuff.
Cindy

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”