Severe Abdominal Pain

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Severe Abdominal Pain

Postby anlockwood » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:31 am

Ok so yesterday was a very long day and I just wondered if anyone had experienced this. I was going about my day fine with my normal IBS cramping and then all of a sudden I got a really really severe cramping in my stomach. I thought it must be gas or maybe I was going to have D but no it just continued. It was so bad I couldn't walk, sit up, and breathing made it hurt. I would compared it to almost being as bad as active labor. It was that intense. I had to call my husband because I couldn't get to my infant son to get him out of the crib and then I had to go to the er. We got there and sat in the waiting room for about 45 mins when the pain finally lessened. It was still painful but absolutely nothing compared to how bad it was originally. It lasted about 2 1/2 hours. The dr saw me and when he pushed on my stomach it put me in tears because it was so extremely tender now. They did the whole iv thing and gave me pain meds and some Zofran(pointless because I wasn't nauseous). The pain meds helped and they ran test but found nothing. They weren't real sure what it was. Today I am crampy, worse then normal but still nothing compared to yesterday. Has anyone ever had an episode like that? It came about 45 mins after I ate but I only ate breaded chicken and mashed potatoes so I don't know how that would have caused it. I just don't ever want to go through that kind of pain again. It scared me because I could barely get to the phone. Can IBS pain become that severe?
Thanks Amanda

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:08 pm

Hi Amanda. I'm so sorry you're experiencing that pain. Prior to C Diff, I had IBS and in my younger years I went to the ER once because they were that bad all day long. "Going" helps, but when you can't and it just keeps on like that it's miserable. In the ER, the doc asked me how many times I'd had to come there for IBS and I told him "this is my first time". He was very surpised and said they see people all the time in there for it (Duke Hospital). I can't say that's the cause of your pain, but it sounds very familiar. After C Diff, the IBS has changed. I'd take that old IBS any day. I never have the cramping any more, just severe nausea and intestinal soreness and other places I won't mention here. I have taken Levsin and it was a really big help. You may want to consider trying it. I hope you feel better soon!

Karen

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:09 pm

Hey anlockwood not sure whether I have IBS or lactose intolerance, but I too get what you are talking about after having c-diff. Mine doesn't last for that amount of time, but they are severe cramps almost like labor or really bad menstral cramping. Lots of the time I won't go to the bathroom after them either sometimes I do, but a lot of the time I won't go until the next day. I know it's frustrating though because like you I don't want it to keep happening and wish I could know how to stop it. Hope you are feeling better soon.

whitepine
Regular Contributor

Postby whitepine » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:21 pm

Ouch! Well, atleast you got checked out and know everything looked okay. I've had that kind of cramps before, and it's truly awful. The more i go to the bathroom the more i cramp. I know it's hard to believe but trapped gas can cause severe pain like that. I've spend hours and many sleepless nights awake with a heating bad on my gut in agony. it does pass eventually. The best med for me has been Xanax, it relaxes everything and all the spasms in there. Hope you feel better.

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:46 pm

the big X i agree as weellll but i d rather be farting like crazy than the big D!!!!!!!!!!!! :))))))))))

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:23 am

Amanda,
After many years of being active C. diff. free (last bout in l999 but left with IBS as an after effect), I still get severe cramping, but it now less frequent. Try a heating pad -- best investment (and free of side effects) you will ever make.

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:52 pm

I have always had severe cramping spells that come on out of the blue and usually always after eating within 20 min. to 2 hours. The doctor said it is my colon going into spasms and gave me Levsin and Xanax. Xanax alone if I take it when it first starts will take care of it in less than 30 minutes but if it is full fledge it takes both. Always lie down on the side that is hurting and draw your legs up as it helps tremendously. I think xanax should be a part of everyone's medicine chest when dealing with this disease. YES IT IS ADDICTIVE but only if abused. And in my case the way I feel addiction is the least of my problems as I do not believe in abusing it. Ask your doctor about it as it is prescribed for lots of people not only with cdiff but with IBS as well.
Cindy

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:57 pm

Thanks so much everyone!! I am going to ask my dr about xanax. I have Bentyl right now but does little of anything to help. I just hope she is open to the idea of trying it. I know drs don't like requests for drugs like that but I am desperate. I wish they could find a good drug for ibs.

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:32 pm

Also try gas X and as Bbbie says a heating pad is the best investment..

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”