question 1st time post!

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
LindaSp
Contributor

question 1st time post!

Postby LindaSp » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:27 pm

My daughter is taking a 2nd round of Vanco for recurrent c diff brought on by cleocin after she had her wisdom teeth removed and then cipro for a uti at the tail end of the cleocin. diarrhea, abd pain positive toxin studies for all these courses of antibiotics.
unsuccessful flagyl treatment for 2 rounds
she is 25, now taking culturelle after taking align with the first run meds.

She again has uti symptoms, urgency , frequency and has wbc's in her urinalysis. She is not having sex since she keeps getting them. How is this related to treatment for c diff? It seems everytime she gets into c diff treatment, she develops uti...she is terrified to take more cipro. the last time they just gave her 2 pills, but she had been diarrhea free for 3 weeks before it returned.
so confused at this point, am an RN too, and in a different city. any ideas?
Thanks so much. I have read for several weeks and you are all amazingly strong and educated.

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:09 am

In my dealings with cdiff I sometimes feel I have a UTI and it is always yeast related. Make sure she is tested prior to her taking any antibiotic for UTI. Good luck and I hope she gets well soon!
Cindy

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:25 am

Welcome to the site. Read the first forum ALL USERS READ THIS FIRST & its subtopics – especially the announcements: PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU POST and GUIDELINES FOR POSTING TO OUR DISCUSSION BOARDS. They will guide you in using the site & answer some of the most frequent questions. Read Dr. Borody’s & Dr. McDonald’s articles and some of the topics in FAQ – especially Hygiene, Nutrition, & Testing.

Many recover after one or two rounds of Flagyl or Vanco, but an unlucky percentage do not. Since antibiotics contributed to your daughter's C. diff., she should be careful about taking them again. Some people can tolerate them without a problem; some develop C. diff. again. (See Dr. Borody’s article.) Sometimes, however, they are necessary.

See FAQ-UTI'S . As Cindy said (and as you know as a nurse) make sure your daughter is cultured before treatment to pinpoint the bacteria causing the infections. E. coli causes most UTI's & usually responds to Macrobid -- usually considered a "safe" antibiotic. See FAQ-Antibiotics. Sometimes this can be related to the D. caused by C. diff. (so good hygiene is doubly important), but check this out with her doctors & others in the medical profession. No one on this site is in the medical profession. We can't give medical advice but can tell you what worked for us. (I am on a maintenance dosage of Macrobid for chronic UTI's & IC & altho. I am at high risk for C. diff., "so far, so good.")

If she continues to have problems with UTI's, she should consult a urologist. & with recurrent/relapsing C. diff., a GI or an infectious disease doc.

Good luck to both of you. With your experience as a nurse, you are a real aid to your daughter. Please use your profession to help "spread" the word about C. diff. & how prevelant it has become.

LindaSp
Contributor

thank you

Postby LindaSp » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:27 am

Thanks for your responses. She has an internal med doc, gi doc and is going to see a urologist today. I fear getting too many docs involved. I wish we had one doctor that would piece everything together. I have received the best info from this site .
The yeast is something we have discussed, but she is insistent she has wbc's in her urine. Unless it is a sterile urine, she could have those, so we are waiting for the culture to come back before starting treatment with Macrobid.
Learning as we go, but I am a wreck.

LindaSp
Contributor

follow up to post

Postby LindaSp » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:59 pm

My daughter saw a urologist today and is to take Macrobid for her uti although a culture is in progress. It makes her very nervous since she is still on the extended course of Vancomycin. The medical student in the room seemed very knowledgeable about C diff which is encouraging from an educational standpoint.

Her GI doctor took the protocol from an article in the New England Journal of Medicine written by Dr Ciarn Kelly Oct 30th , 2008. I saw him mentioned in another area of this site. She downloaded the article at a cost and emailed it to me. I did not know where to post this interesting/informative article for others to research.

Thanks again for your caring/knowledge.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:53 pm

LindaSp,
Glad your daughter saw a urologist.
You can post Dr. Kelly's article as a hyperlink in
FAQ-Articles Written By C. diff. Experts & Other CD Lit. Hyperlink only, however, or we'd need Dr, Kelly's OK plus the journal's publisher. (Copyright laws.)

Bet your daughter willl do fine on Macrobid. Do read the other hints under FAQ-UTI's - no baths, showers only, etc.

whitepine
Regular Contributor

Postby whitepine » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:26 pm

I have a UTI right now. I'm petrified of needing Cipro! I'm drinking tons of water to try to flush it out and i got cranberry capsules, 100% pure juice and uva ursi herb drops and goldenseal.
It's super scary to know i need antibiotics but cant take them!
Any other ideas?

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:43 pm

crrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaanberry! now lots of it jmho!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:35 am

whitepine,
See FAQ-UTI's. Yes, cranberry juice can work but is usually better at preventing than curring UTI's. (It's not just an old wife's tale.) I can't drink it any longer, however, because I have IC (plus frequent UTI's) even though I've done all the "right stuff" for years. In the past, however, I have been able to "cure" UTI's by drinking water and cranberry juice. Unfortunately, the diet for it prohibits fruits & vegetables. One health "thing" always contradicts another. I do the "middle of the road" thing -- a little of this, a little of that. Besides I love veggies. Long ago, I decided to go for "quality" rather than "quantity" of life.

See FAQ-Antibiotics. If the UTI is caused by E. coli (and most are), usually Macrobid will work. Be sure you have a culture first to pinpoint the bacteria causing the UTI. I have been on a maintenance dose of Macrobid (50 mg.) once a day for over a year( & am at high risk of C. diff.) So far, so good. If your symptoms continue, see a doc.

abby
New User

Postby abby » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:34 pm

D-Mannose is said by some to prevent and even cure UTIs. It's a sugar which is said to adhere to undesirable substances which may be sticking to the bladder lining, particularly the substance that may have caused a UTI. Allegedly, the sugar in D-Mannose is even more attractive than the bladder's lining to the undesirable substance, which switches its allegiance and thus gets washed out of the bladder. Taking it with cranberry juice or pills is said to be even more effective.

abby

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:07 pm

abby,
D. Mannose didn't work for me but some have good luck with it. It's worth a try.

whitepine
Regular Contributor

Postby whitepine » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:59 pm

Oh my goodness....can someone tell me if drinking cranberry juice and taking the cranberry capsules can cause a ton of diarrhea??
Wow!

I drank a quart of cranberry juice yesterday...and took 4 capsules.
Today, is a bad, bad, day!!!

I'm sticking to water for the UTI now!

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:47 pm

waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy to much! 9 to one water!

LindaSp
Contributor

question

Postby LindaSp » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:46 am

whitepine,
Hope you are better. my daughter is finishing the macrobid and her urologist was well aware of the c diff and the vanco. he suggested sometimes they dose the partner as well w/the macrobid if these are recurrent utis between partners caused by E. Coli.

My daughter is on longer dose of Vanco now and sxs are lessened. However, I am concerned she is coming home for Christmas. I worry she may have ingested the c diff here while recovering from her dental procedure in September as I might have unknowingly brought it home from the hospital I work in! I realize after all this research that it is a possibility. I am like a mad woman now, stripping sheets, washing surfaces with bleach, etc, stripping color from items washed with bleach (oops) in prep of her arrival. I also realize it might impossible to remove every spore that may live in my home! If she is on Vanco, is she safe here? Needless to say, we will all up our hygiene attention to handwashing, food prep, etc...any other suggestions? How do you wash items that are not bleach safe?

Continued best wishes. You at this site are wonderful.
Linda

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:48 am

whitepine,
Nothing in excess is good. I'd keep using the cranberry juice/pills but cut back on them. Do call your uro.

Linda,
Your daughter is probably safer at home than in a hospital. Sounds as though you have done everrything possible re. hygiene. Remember, many on this site had family members who did not develop C. diff. -- some used the same bathroom. Be as "careful" as you can & then try to "ease up" -- easier said than done.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”