What to do

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

What to do

Postby jenkelly15 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:49 pm

So I am going to the doctor's at 3 today. I think I might either have a yeast infection or bacteria infection. Now, my first question is the medication for the yeast infection wouldn't cause c-diff since it's an anti-fungal like monistat or whatever right? But what if I do have a bacterial infection do you HAVE to take AB's. I looked it up and there was a few different AB's one was clindamycin cream which of course is a DEFINITE no. Then, there was flagyl, which I'm not to keen on either since I relapsed horribly both times I took it. Then, I think it also said tetriclyn, so does anyone know which would be best if it is godforbid a bacteria infection. But then this one website said "Treatment usually consists of three to seven nights of Cleocin 2% vaginal cream. Oral antibiotic treatment is sometimes prescribed and may be available if you request it from your physician. ) So I wonder if I could just take Cleocin cream and I wonder if that's an AB. If anyone could help me that would be great I know you are not doctor's but just wondering everyone's thought before I go to the doctor. Also, if you can pray that it is just a yeast infection or maybe nothing at all that would be a BIG help too. Thanks agian.

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:51 pm

Never mind just looked up Clecin cream and it's CLINDAMYCIN AGHHHH!!! Guess that's definitely not an option for me. Oh jeeze it better just not be a bacteria infection I am a mess.

trob25
Regular Contributor

Postby trob25 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:07 pm

Jen, I hope it just requires an anti-fungal. If not, demand the doctor look at alternatives to treat it.

If you have to go on antibiotics, I would recommend you get some probiotics ASAP and take them during the entire course of medication and 2 weeks after. Florastor counters C-Diff and survives antibiotics, however, it is a yeast and I'm not sure if it's something that can be taken while having a yeast infection, even though it is a good yeast. Also, grab some Culturelle and take it as far apart from the abs as possible as it will get killed by them. You can take two a day of each of these if you have to. Acidophilus is also good and drink that Kefir every day.

carrie
Regular Contributor

Postby carrie » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:27 pm

Hey Jen
Try and stay away from diflucan(often prescribed by physicians for yeast) if it is a yeast infection as it is systemic and can change the bowel flora. Just FYI, I thought I had a yeast infection or bacterial infection due to some dicomfort, reddness and discharge that was not normal for me and was tested a couple times. It ended up being nothing and the GYNE explained that there can be an bacterial imbalance causing the issues but it is not necessary to treat. I instead continued my probiotics and also used a vaginal probiotic insert I got at a health store and that seemed to help. Eventually everything calmed down. I hope it is nothing but if it is a yeast infection I think the over the counter products are fine if they work for you. When I did have a yeast infection during active c-diff I used a product from the naturopath clinic and it cleared it up. Check the FAQ section it has lots of suggestions.

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:44 pm

I have had a yeast infection since having c diff. I choose to use the prescription cream that was 7 days long. It worked fine and doesn't affect your gut flora. Just what worked for me.
Amanda

meaece1
New User

Postby meaece1 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:59 pm

I get them all the time. If it is bacterial I go the metro-gel. It is Flagyl but in an insert and only one time for 5 days. I actually do pretty well on it. Sometimes I get both at once and then I either do 1 diflucan and the metrogel or 7 days of flagyl and monistat. If you are close to your period you could wait and see because sometimes the flow will return the vaginal balance back to normal.

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:52 am

Did the metrogel give you side effects like the Flagyl does? I was horribly nausae and couldn't really eat when I took the Flagyl. Plus, I'm nervous because I had horrible relapses with the Flagyl what if that is what caused my relapses or maybe it just didn't work I don't know. I am waiting for the culture results to come back still praying it's nothing or just a yeast infection. Thanks for everyone's help. Yeah and my OB-GYN asked me why I was dangerously petite. I told her I just never gained my weight back after the c-diff. It's frustrating it's been 9 months and I got weighed yesterday and I'm STILL 90 pounds AGHHH!!!!

meaece1
New User

Postby meaece1 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:02 pm

I get side effects with the flagyl, but with the metro gel I only get slight period type cramps. Nothing serious like the flagyl. If you do have bacterial this would probably be your best bet for the least amount of side effects...but only a suggestion. Also a natural way to restore vaginal flora is to use plain yogurt as an insert once a night for seven days. I would wait for the culture to come back before you begin to worry.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:55 pm

Hi Jen. I've read where it has taken some folks a couple of years to put their weight back on. I know you're running around after an energetic one year old, so I'm sure that is burning some calories for you!

I gained almost all of my weight back, but recently lost a few pounds. Here's what I think put the weight back on, if you can tolerate it: I'm not eating/drinking these things like I was b/c I didn't want to gain any more.

Ensure!! I graduated to the Ensure Plus
Kefir 2-3 cups daily (there are brands other than Lifeway that don't have sugar in them)
Yogurt Smoothies
Yogurt daily, sometimes more than 1

All of them have high caloric content.

I know it's not fun being ultra slim, but you may find that serves you well as you get older :-)

Hugs to you...Karen

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:56 pm

OMG Roy! HAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

meaece1
New User

Postby meaece1 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:06 pm

Never done the yogurt, but heard from my GYN that it works. Roy you are silly!

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:11 pm

Hey the yogurt thing is definitely worth a try if it works ANYTHING to avoid AB's, but I still have to wait for the results. I'm still praying it's nothing or just a yeast infection and I don't even need to worry about options. Thanks for all your guys help. Oh yeah thanks Karen for the info about gaining weight. Yeah and I guess it's not the worst thing in the world being under weight, but I still wish I could be at my 102 pounds that I was at before I had my son. Oh well thanks again.

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:13 am

Just wanted to let everyone know my culture came back normal. I am so HAPPY I don't have to worry about taking any AB's. Carrie maybe what you told me happened to you is happening to me because I still feel like something is not normal. I am just glad it's fine. Thank you all for you help and support.

trob25
Regular Contributor

Postby trob25 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:54 am

jenkelly15 wrote:Just wanted to let everyone know my culture came back normal. I am so HAPPY I don't have to worry about taking any AB's. Carrie maybe what you told me happened to you is happening to me because I still feel like something is not normal. I am just glad it's fine. Thank you all for you help and support.

Great news Jen, I'm glad to hear it!

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:11 pm

Hey who edited Jen's original post! I like her openess/frankness!!!! :)

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”