Neuropathy in feet

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
atbrandes
Brand New Poster

Neuropathy in feet

Postby atbrandes » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:16 pm

Has anyone developed neuropathy in their feet and lower legs? I did after the 5th treatment with Vancomyacin and one of my doctors believes the Vanco could be the culprit. Anyone else had this problem??????
Annette

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:08 pm

Annette,
Welcome to the group that no one wants to join. Be sure to read All Users Read This First, Dr. Borody's article, Dr. McDonald's article (in the FAQ section under Articles by Experts), and all areas in FAQ that interest you.

I think that Flagyl is more likely to cause neuropathy than vanco is. Did you use Flagyl before you used vanco? Other folks here may have experience with this problem. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:52 pm

YUUP! But with only ONE treatment of Flagyl 7 day course!

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:17 am

Annette -

I developed Peripheral Neuropathy in both legs after being on five days of IV Flagyl after having gallbladder out and something went wrong. Didn't come on immediately but very soon. Legs were sooo weak I could only walk a few steps. Didn't know at the time what caused it or even what it was. Then developed C-Diff and had more oral Flagyl. My ignorant Internist just kept telling me to walk. He was on my cases of C-Diff, along with a Infectious Disease doctor they called in the second time I was in the hospiital for nine days.

Finally, on my own, I went to the large Michigan Institute for Neurological Disorders (M.I.N.D.) and was tested and diagnosed with PN. Found on reputable internet sites about what causes PN (mostly diabetis), but also found out that certain meds can cause it. Flagyl was listed and that is only med I had been on. M.I.N.D. sent a 3 page report to my Internist (eat crow you expletive).

It should have been caught by surgeon and nurses while I was in hospital for gallbladder removal so could immediately stop the medicine and should never have been given to me for C-Diff!!! It's been exactly 2 years and I still can't walk more than a few steps and only stand for about 10 minutes. Thought it might go away after a while - prayed it would - but didn't happen. Has made an invalid out of me. Can't get out to get my mail, or to my car and drive to doctors, dentist, get my groceries, prescriptions or anything. Worst thing is I have no family to help me, so have to hire people to do those things and, believe me, it's a nightmare trying to hire people.
Sandy
Southeast Michigan

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away".

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:04 am

sks,
So sorry about what Flagyl did to you. Don't know if you pursued legal means or not -- often difficult to prove. Also, our legal system (as "foolproof" or "full of fools" as our medical system) looks at victims with a "what is she/he worth?" view. A middle-aged woman with no dependants and a low-paying job is not "worth" as much as a man or woman with a higher paying job with dependants. More for the lawyers that way, too.

I, too, have health problems caused by meds. & emphathize with you. I never understood how people could allow themselves to be put on many meds. (Two out of three meds. are given to combat the side effects of other meds. ) Now, I understand. "The best medicine is no medicine" but those of us with C. diff. & other problems have little choice. I do as much research as I can & talk to pharmacists, but it's all a "crap shoot" -- pun intended. I'm going to try a fairly new med. for osteoporosis & will have to give myself a shot every day. One possible but "rare" side effect -- bone cancer (so far just in test rats & possibly one human case). I can't afford another broken bone. I decided long ago to take quality over quantity of life. Since first having C. diff. 15 yrs. ago, my health has "tanked." (I had C. diff. for a very long time & then had it again.)

I hope that some day your health will improve & that you have some type of a support system. You've been so supportive of others on this site.

Again, I'm so sorry, Sandy. It's the "rare" things that get us, isn't it?

atbrandes
Brand New Poster

Peripheral Neuropathy

Postby atbrandes » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:11 pm

Thanks for the replies; it is very possible that Flagyl is the culprit. I am able to walk but the pain at bedtime and on arising requires pain meds. Thanks again
Annette

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:27 pm

Annette,
If problems persist, ask your doc. about Vancocin. It goes "straight to the gut" & usually has fewer side effects. Check with your insurance carrier first -- it is expensive.

popo
New User

Hi annette!

Postby popo » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:19 pm

Hi annette!

Have you been checked for bartonella ? It is very common that people have burning feet and neuropathies from bart!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”