COPIED FROM CASE HISTORIES --DONNA-CN

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Bobbie
Administrator

COPIED FROM CASE HISTORIES --DONNA-CN

Postby Bobbie » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:55 pm

Donna, Don't post questions in [i]Case Histories. Questions should be asked in either Questions or Gen. Discussion. Case Histories is for that purpose only.

Please read the forum ALL USERS READ THIS FIRST before you post. It lists the "rools" of posting.

DonnaCN
Brand New Poster

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:32 pm Post subject: DonnaCN's New Case

Hi all,
I have been reading this post since returning to work mid October. I am 46 years old, healthy female with two children and a husband. I had D for two weeks before finally going to the hospital on October 2nd with fever, severe pain in stomach and hallucinations. I let it go too long because I really didn't think anything of it.. Just thought it was a gastro problem and would go away!. Upon arriving at the hospital on Saturday the doctors did a number of tests never thinking that it was C-Diff. I had not used antibiotics in the last few years (am never sick).... They have no idea where I got it. I guess this illness is getting out into the community.

After a colonoscopy and tests the doctors concluded that I had severe C-Diff and started me on Vanco and Flagyl. I was also given pain medicine and Benco as I was in excruciating pain. After the vanco and Flagyl started to work I was released home. I stayed home for another week and then returned to work. I finished the first course of antibiotics and two weeks later the pain, D, returned. I knew that I had C-Diff again. MY GI doctor gave me Vanco for 18 weeks...... Long time. I am on a weening program. First two weeks I took 4 a day. The second two weeks it is 3 and so on. I am on the 3rd week now and am still feeling bad. I don't have severe pain, but do have irritable bowel problems which I never had before this illness.

Over Thanksgiving I overdid the eating part and am paying for it. I am only hoping that the C-Diff goes away on this lengthy course of Antibiotics. Just wondering why I still feel so bad while on the antibiotics..... Thanks, Donna

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:51 pm

Donna,
Welcome to the group that no one wants to join. In addition to reading "the rools," also check out Dr. Borody's article, Dr. McDonald's article (in the FAQ section under Articles by Experts), and all areas of FAQ that interest you.

Have you felt bad on all the doses of vanco that you've taken? Sometimes a dosage adjustment can help. Many folks get IBS as a result of cdiff, so that may be what you are experiencing. Have you talked to your GI doc about it? Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

DonnaCN
Brand New Poster

Postby DonnaCN » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:39 pm

Thanks Nancy, I go back to my GI next week. I just worry that I will have to continue on the Vanco to just feel normal..... But am going to ask about the IBS. As I had the c-diff for so long before being diagnosed I am sure that I damaged my colon..... I am trying to eat healthy and am taking Florastar as well... Just can't stand the cramping and the D. I will give my doc a call to find out what is going on. I also have a blank lab slip where I can go have a stool sample which I think I will do tomorrow.

Really appreciate this site. Sorry I didn't post in the correct spot... Best, Donna

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:20 pm

It's best to be off of Flagyl or vanco for 10 - 14 days, if possible, before taking a stool sample for testing. Otherwise you risk getting a false negative test result.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”