uti...now what?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Loraseery
New User

uti...now what?

Postby Loraseery » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:00 pm

Hi...I am terrified because I need to take antibiotics for a UTI. I also have a yeast infection. I went to an urgent care Dr. and he wanted to give me Cipro but I asked for vanco instead because I am so scared of getting c. diff again. Does anyone have experience with UTI and vanco to get rid of it?

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:29 am

Several folks here have taken Macrobid for UTIs without problems. I don't know about vanco for this. I got cdiff from Cipro plus levaquin, so I agree with you, I definitely would not want to take Cipro ever again.

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:46 am

I am under the impression vanco does nothing except work on the GI tract. It is not systemic so therefore will not help your UTI or at least in my opinion. Macrobid is what most people take that have had cdiff for UTI only after trying everything in their power to overcome it with natural remedies.
Cindy

HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:47 am

My non-medical opinion is that Vanco probably will not work. I took bactrium 6 months ago for a UTI and did fine and I know a lot of people here have taken Microbid and have done fine. With your Cdiff history I would be leary of taking Cipro.
Heather

Cdiff free 7yrs! Cdiff left me with IBS but, I am dealing with it!!
"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is god's business." Michael J. Fox

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:49 pm

See the FAQ section under UTIs for more info.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:50 pm

Loraseery,
As Nancy said, see FAQ-UTI's. Also, see FAQ-Antibiotics.

Macrobid is considered "safe." I have been on a maintenance dose of 50mg once a day for over a year & am at high risk of getting C. diff. So far so good!

I wouldn't take Cipro unless absolutely necessary. As Roy said, be sure they culture you before you take any antibiotic to pinpoint the bacteria that is causing the infection.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”