question for anyone whom has had success with vanco tapering

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
gypsylady100
New User

question for anyone whom has had success with vanco tapering

Postby gypsylady100 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:58 pm

I am hopeful today and have a question about vancomicin tapering. My GI doctor put me on a taper as follows: 125mg 4x per day for 7 days; then 2x per day for another 7 days, then one a day for another 7 days and then every other day for a month. I was fine during the first 7 days but day two into the second week with only taking two pills a day, I started feeling sick and having that horrible gas and D again. I felt achy all over and thought....uh oh here we go again. I took my homemade yogurt and all my probiotics as usual and then something weird happened. On day three, all the bad symptoms were gone. I am hopeful in thinking that the c diff spores started to activate in my system again and the fact that I feel better today means that the tapering is working. I want this to work sooooo bad! If I get another relapse I am going ahead with a fecal infusion. I contacted the Deluth Clinic and talked to them about it. I would qualify as a candidate with one more relapse. Has any one that has tapeerd successfully had the symptoms that I just had? I think it is a positive sign.

diane
Long Time Contributor

Postby diane » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:14 am

Usually when I tapered and I know others had this too..... it is your body adjusting.. I would always get loose stools or other uncomfortable side effects that would get better when my body adjusted. Keep your head up! Hope it goes away

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:47 pm

gypsylady100,

Tapering helped several on this site including 2 of our mods., Lauren & Nancy.

Best of luck.

DonnaCN
Brand New Poster

tapering of Vanco

Postby DonnaCN » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:27 pm

Hi -- I am on an 18 week tapering of Vanco. My GI started me out with 4 Vanco's (125 mg) a day for two weeks, then 3 for two weeks and then down to 2 for two weeks, etc. I am on the 3 a day in the 2nd week. I am not feeling as great as I was on the 4 a day but am hopeful that the tapering will work. I have had D and pain in stomach since tapering. Am supposed to have another stool sample in a week and then back to GI to see how things are progressing. So long and short -- I think the tapering is working. Time will tell.... This is not an easy disease.... Never had any problems with the digestive system until C-Diff.....

Best of luck. Will keep you posted on my tapering which is longer than your tapering program. Wonder why there is such a big difference in the plan? Best, Donna

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:21 am

Donna - Why is your GI having you do a stool sample while still on meds? That's a no-no. General rule is to be off meds 10 days at least, preferably 14 days. I can see going in for an appt. during taper for him to check generally how you are doing.

Not just me saying this, hundreds of references to that on site.
Sandy
Southeast Michigan

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away".

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:09 pm

Donna,
Agree with Sandy. See FAQ-C. diff. Tests.

Some do still test positive while on meds. but best to be off them.

Why don't more docs. know this?? Throughout the years on this site (and before since I've known about C. diff. since my younger son had it in l979) I have been appalled at how little many in the medical profession know about C. diff. It has finally been "outed," however, so little excuse for medical ignorance.

PS This happened to me at Mayo Clinic -- the "Mecca" of GI disease -- in l993. Was on Vanco. -- tests all OK -- docs. knew I was on Vanco. Got diagnosis of IBS by rude, ignorant resident. Came home, went off meds. (per instructions) & became ill --had one of the few positive cultures in my lst 4-yr. bout with C. diff. (Originally diagnosed by a scope.)

gypsylady100
New User

Postby gypsylady100 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:08 am

Well, I made it to 125mg every other day and lasted until the second day and then the D started again. I just can't take it anymore. I contacted Deluth Clinic and am going for the fecal infusion. This disease is ruining my life! I feel soooooo gross all the time, I never am "in the mood", I don't want my husband to touch me because I feel like I will contaminate him and the whole thing has just completely taken over my life. I hate it. I will keep you all posted on the fecal infusion.

fire7163
Long Time Contributor

Postby fire7163 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:25 am

Gypsylady:

Don't panic...I've done a couple of Vanco Tapers starting out with 250's 4 times a day, and also done a couple of tapers starting with 125's. I totally agree with Sandy and Diane that it could very well be your body adjusting. Nobody gets well overnight with C-Diff. The largest organ in your body has a serious infection and will take time to heal and recover. C-Diff is just like a roller coaster ride of good and bad days. You just don't know when you can get off. You can let C-Diff control your life and be a victim or you can be a person with C-Diff and try to have a normal life. It's totally your choice. I chose the later and it's not easy, but the longer you force yourself the easier it gets. Try exercising a little at first then increase it slowly. Go for a walk with your other half. Remember that C-Diff can be just as hard on our other half's, and more frustrating since they aren't sick and can't do anything to help. You're not Typhoid Mary...just follow good hygiene and you should be fine. I have relasped many times and none of my family or the crew at work have gotten it.

Fire

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”