Confused-what now?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
newmommy
New User

Confused-what now?

Postby newmommy » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:35 pm

I'm finishing off a tapering course of Flagyl (I've been on it for nearly a month now). This week is the final week, one pill every other day.

So, my question is, if my frequency is normal (1-2X) a day, but stools are not consistently 'formed'(today was borderline D) does that mean I've eradicated the c-diff, or is it just hanging out, and the minute I stop the Flagyl is it going to take over full force again.

Are 'formed' stools the ultimate determination that you're getting better?Or, have I just been on the Flagyl for too long at this point, and I've wiped out all of the good bacteria too??

I guess I'm just so darn frustrated and I want to be doing the right thing. I guess my tentative plan is to finish off this tapering round of Flagyl and then wait and see what happens..Does that sound reasonable at this point?

feelinghopeful
Regular Contributor

Postby feelinghopeful » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:34 pm

Very reasonable. All you can do is finish the taper - you're almost done and you don't have D. Not having formed stools while on the meds isn't the best sign but I've seen so many variables in people recovering and not recovering that you really can't make a determination yet. You have to finish at this point. If it does fail, are you able to get Vancocin?

People have not only been on Flagyl for an incredibly long time and recovered but they've been on Flagyl then Vanco for a year then Rifampin and recovered. I find it amazing that enough bacteria could survive all this to recolonize but it happens all the time so don't despair - you're not even close to having exhausted possibilities and wiped out all your good bacteria.

Has the D ever stopped for any length of time, btw?

I know it's hard but you'll get there. C-Diff sucks out loud. It's fickle and that is just one of the things that wears you out. But... you will get there.

newmommy
New User

Postby newmommy » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:35 pm

Yes, next stop = Vanco. I know, what other option do I have at this point, lol!! I guess I'm just look for some reassurance.

The D stopped nearly right away after starting the Flagyl (along w/the frequency) and since then it's mostly on the 'looser' side with the occasional 'fully formed' appearance.

Even prior to having c-diff I never consistently had 'formed' stools 100% of the time, so at this point I feel like I don't know if I'm better, worse or about the same.

In any event, I feel the Flagyl is making me more sick so I might as well finish it up and wait and see.

I guess it's the "wait and see" part that I'm not thrilled about.

feelinghopeful
Regular Contributor

Postby feelinghopeful » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:46 am

Whichever way it goes, let us know. It would be nice to hear more success with Flagyl stories.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”