Does C.Difficile Cause Lactsose Intolerance?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Melissa
Brand New Poster

Does C.Difficile Cause Lactsose Intolerance?

Postby Melissa » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:05 pm

Hi!
I'm reading a lot about lactose intolerance in some of the questions and answers. Does C. Diificile cause people who were not lactose intolerant to become so?
Thanks!!
Melissa

feelinghopeful
Regular Contributor

Postby feelinghopeful » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:55 pm

Absolutely. Happened to me and guess what? Had a fecal transplant and am no longer lactose intollerant. Weird.

MaryT
Regular Contributor

Postby MaryT » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:52 pm

Lactose intolerance can come and go away. I became lactose intolerant after having my daughter. Unfortunately, she's 16 and my intolerance hasn't left me!!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:35 pm

Melissa,
Many GI infections (inlcuding C. diff. ) affect the gut's ability to digest dairy products (possible except yogurt). Sometimes this lasts; sometimes it doesn't. I've found the longer I've been "over" C. diff., the better. I can now eat goat cheese & other cheese without a problem.

feelinghopeful
Regular Contributor

Postby feelinghopeful » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:39 pm

What a pain that was. I had endless, limitless gas. Unbelievable! Had never experienced anything like that before or since I'm well. It was soooo ridiculous it was almost comical. I really had to let go of my pride because there was no faking it wasn't happening. I just couldn't go anywhere. Lowfat milk was THE worst. Half and Half, in the amounts I drink it in coffee, was not a problem. More lactose in the fat free stuff, I think. Sorry you still have that, Mary. I don't even know if my experience was typical of intollerance but it was definitely the mik.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”