need advice now...

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:30 pm

I agree with feelinghopeful have a test done. Worst case senerio is you still have it, you already have a script for flagyl you fill it and start taking it. Best case senerio is you dont have it and are only suffering the after effects of Cdiff.

The only way to find out what to do is to have a test done.
Heather

Cdiff free 7yrs! Cdiff left me with IBS but, I am dealing with it!!
"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is god's business." Michael J. Fox

needhelp
Regular User

Postby needhelp » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:09 pm

Well the day has progressed and there is no doubt in my mind that the "beast" is back. You just know, the nonstop D, (the infamous odor), the pain, etc.

I don't think I can wait to have the test done, I need to start the flagyl soon!

I am still waiting for the #%$$ NP to call me back!
"needhelp"

HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:48 pm

I totally agree with Roy. I mean you no disrespect but, you have done alot of complaning about your NP. Is there a reason why you are seeing a NP and not a Dr? Is it a insurance issue??

If you can see a Dr I highly recommend you finding a Dr. You need someone who is going to treat your illness. I understand that your NP consults with a Dr but, that to me is not good enough as he/she doesnt know your health history or even you personally. You need to work and see a Dr directley.
Heather

Cdiff free 7yrs! Cdiff left me with IBS but, I am dealing with it!!
"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is god's business." Michael J. Fox

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:30 pm

Hey needhelp so sorry you think you are getting the beast back. Just make sure that is what it is. I remember the first time I got D and I too like you never had D always the opposite I totally freaked thinking it was back, but then the next day I was fine. You can always try the 3 day rule to make sure, but you do KNOW your body best so if you are positive then talk with your doctor about the flagyl. Roy said the dose is too low, but that is the dose that I was on with the second round of flagyl alhtough it never did work for me. However, when I was on the vanco I tapered it down for a couple months and was on 125mg. Maybe if you know you are getting the c-diff start the flagyl your doctor gave you, and then make her give you the referral and the GI doctor can put you on the appropriate dose that he/she feels will get rid of the c-diff. Good luck keep us posted.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:25 pm

Agree -- see a doc. They don't have all the answers but no have more experience & education than a doc. asst. or nurse practioner. In Kansas, DO (Dr. of osteopathy) has the same education as an MD but at different schools & doesn't have the prestige of an MD. A GI or an infect. disease doc. is best for recurrent/relapsing C. diff.

A naturopath can be "dicey." Think every state has different licensing requirements. Check his/her credentials.

needhelp
Regular User

Postby needhelp » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:29 am

The D and pain has continued nonstop now for the 2nd day. My NP called and said, "I don't think this is c diff since you had a normal blood work last Friday - take imodium. There is a GI bug going around."

The reason I see this NP is because I live in a very rural area and there aren't any drs for 50 miles. The drs don't take new patients so it's very hard. She refuses to give me the GI referral, I have asked at least 30 times. Insurance is another issue, you have to go by the book or they don't pay.

I guess I will end up going to the ER today. I don't know what to do, I can't imagine what else this would be.
"needhelp"

Allison
Administrator

Postby Allison » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:58 am

"She refuses to give me the GI referral, I have asked at least 30 times."

This is just plain bullhockey. Is your insurance plan an HMO? Just as you can appeal a claim, you can also appeal when a referral is repeatedly denied by your PCP...NP's included if they are set up as your primary.

There is no reason to put up with this. Relapse or not - your case is clearly now out of the NP's league.
The absence of an elevated white blood cell count should not be used to exclude disease...it's not uncommon to have completely normal values during a cdiff infection. It's a clue only - nothing more.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”