New to Forum, but not to c diff, questions

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
maryinflorida
Regular Contributor

Postby maryinflorida » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:07 pm

If they can't put you to sleep ask your doctor if they can give you something to forget the whole thing. I think there are meds they can give you with the anesthesia so you won't remember anything once you are fully awake. Colonoscopies are a necessary evil---don't cancel it, just get it over with. Keep a good book by the toilet and stay put.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:05 pm

needhelp.
It's been years since I"ve had a scope, but I believe they give you a tranquilizer by IV & then some type of twilight sleep. (Check with your doc. re. this.) Once I "almost" came to & yelled so they gave me extra "stuff." A friend of mine used to say, "Make my knees weak."

You won't remember a thing. Prep is the worst part. All procedures have some type of risk; ask your doc. about them. A scope is often beneficial, however, and will tell the doc. a lot.

Hope you've been off meds. (Flagyl or Vanco.) for 10 to 14 days before "procedure."

carrie
Regular Contributor

Postby carrie » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:30 am

I was not put to sleep but whatever they gave me I don't remember a thing and eventually I was so relaxed I feel asleep. When I woke up I called the nurse over like she was my bestfriend and proceeded to tell her things I really don't share with anyone. Funny what those drugs or more likely gases do with our minds.
My only suggestion is not to cancel your appointment if you have any concerns because it will be harder to get another one. Knowing everything looks good does offer some reassurance. I had a sigmoid scope post c-diff with out drugs and it was one of the most painful experiences I've know, he indicated my colon was overly sensitive - go figure.

Allison
Administrator

Postby Allison » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:21 am

The drug of choice for colonoscopies and EDG's is Versed. It is not anesthesia - you are not unconscious. It's heavy sedation, and the effect is exactly what Carrie describes...you are so sedated you sleep. And the sleep is so deep you will remember nothing. If you do wake up briefly, they'll push more into the IV. Before the procedure just tell them you want to sleep and they'll maintain the proper level of drugs so you do.

There really is no need to fear this procedure. I've had four of them and didn't regret any. Yeah the prep is inconvenient - all of us would rather be doing something else with that time.

Overall this will be a useful diagnostic tool for the doc. AND it will give you peace of mind. Everyone with cdiff anxiety can use more of that!

needhelp
Regular User

Postby needhelp » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:48 pm

thank you everybody for the info and peace of mind, that's why I love this website so much, I feel like you are all my friends :)
"needhelp"

feelinghopeful
Regular Contributor

Postby feelinghopeful » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:15 pm

For anyone considering any of these as a prep - beware:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02639.html

The "lyte" in golytely, nulytely, etc stands for the electrolytes to avoid an imbalance. I forget the one I used last time but it was the best tasting. Hmmm. I forget but it was one of the "lytes". My friend's doc had her use 2 bottles of the fleet stuff but she was okay, I wouldn't use that stuff because of the potential for electrolyte imbalance and organ damage.

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:58 am

When they say you will not be asleep- they are correct as you have to be able to cooperate with them. They are telling you that you will be relaxed and most likely you will not remember the procedure. Voice your concern and ask them if you will know what is going on and remember. If they say yes........then say I DO NOT THINK SO and either they change their way of doing it or you go to another GI. No way I will be totally coherent during a colonoscopy and neither would that doctor!
Cindy

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”