Reuteri/hope I'm not relapsing

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
micheler23
Regular User

Postby micheler23 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:43 pm

Hey Trob,

Hang in there! I really hope that you are not relasping. You have made it past the first hurdle of 30 days. Keep positive. Maybe it is post c diff infection IBS.
I had a colonoscopy done on Halloween. Can't decide if it was my trick or treat. lol It was painless and will give your doctor more info. Remember I thought I was relasping, well that confirmed it. I didn't have D just a lot of mucus.
Was given Miralax prep, to mix with apple juice. I had just started my second round of vanco and thought the prep would aggravate the cdiff. I don't think it did. Because he saw some p. colitis the dr. gave me another 14 day vanco to use as 2 days off 1 day on. that will carry me to right before christmas.

Let me know how everything turns out.

trob25
Regular Contributor

Postby trob25 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:58 pm

Hey Michele, I was sorry to hear you relapsed :( But I hope you can beat it this time! Please let me know how you make out as well with all this.

I'm not having any mucus, just D every other day over the last week and a half and I only have had actual D twice a day at most, so it is far different from the C-Diff when I had it, but you never know.

micheler23
Regular User

Postby micheler23 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:33 pm

Hey Trob,

Hang in there! I really hope that you are not relasping. You have made it past the first hurdle of 30 days. Keep positive. Maybe it is post c diff infection IBS.
I had a colonoscopy done on Halloween. Can't decide if it was my trick or treat. lol It was painless and will give your doctor more info. Remember I thought I was relasping, well that confirmed it. I didn't have D just a lot of mucus.
Was given Miralax prep, to mix with apple juice. I had just started my second round of vanco and thought the prep would aggravate the cdiff. I don't think it did. Because he saw some p. colitis the dr. gave me another 14 day vanco to use as 2 days off 1 day on. that will carry me to right before christmas.

Let me know how everything turns out.

feelinghopeful
Regular Contributor

Postby feelinghopeful » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:46 pm

Hi Trob,

What you say about just wanting to be better really resonates with me. I think everybody feels like that but I literally could not get beyond the fact that I had this damned thing. It consumed me. I was exhausting my friends with talk of its spread, prevention, possible cures and warnings about antibiotics. I actually could not imagine a life so compromised. I did not feel like me and felt that my life was never going to be good again (or be what I'd someday hoped it might). Carrying around lactaid (poor baby), refusing a drink, not going kayaking or hiking for fear of where I'd 'go' if I had to, trying to lecture thinking "if they only knew", excusing the noises in my stomach, excusing myself mid-lecture, not letting people use my bathroom, subtly questioning anybody who seemed to go to the bathroom too much, especially if they were staying here - more strains, great! One friend was a radio personality and attributed his long battle with 'IBS' to the stress he'd had all those years but the diagnosis of IBS was about his fifth (I forget what they thought it was before that because I didn't have a consciousness for it) and I was now wondering... how many people have C-Diff?! I bet he has C-Diff! I was maniacal about finding a cure or the best way to get rid of those creepy spores that I know I still have but at least for the moment they're not haunting me. I have always had a great deal of respect for people who are truly ill. I don't know how they just go on. Life is difficult. Lots of great stuff to do and people to meet but it's hard! I feel like a twit when I look at people like fire - now that is really doing something with your life - and with a condition I found intollerable.

With this thing, I was internally frantic to get it out of me. I know life has a lot more to throw at me than this, and it has already, believe me, but some things I really cannot fathom, like being quadropolegic or having brain cancer and nerve damage and pain from treatments like another friend has - so many terrible things. I wish I were more like them or Heather. How do you make yourself something you're not is the question. I literally could not function when the IBS got really bad. I was sooooo depressed but so many people count on me (people I couldn't tell, like my parents who still don't know why I got so skinny and tired). I guess that kept me going. I just had to but didn't want to. Stupid, I know, but true. Sounds like I'm talking about amputations here (a friend of mine is having his leg amputated this very week) but that is how I felt when I got bad PI-IBS and when I had C-Diff untreated. I felt trapped. It became my identity. I am the person who has contageous diarrhea and am now defined by what I cannot do - like eat for instance - how can my doctor be so cavalier?! When I KNEW I had C-Diff back I cried, stomped my feet and held my breath to get a referal for a transplant. I absolutely had C-Diff again, no question, but had had a few negative test results (months and months apart) which posed a problem for him. He wasn't a proponent of the three tests rule. I consider having that transplant one of the luckiest moments of my life.

Sorry to go on. Obviously, I've still not moved on but I go longer and longer without thinking of myself in terms of C-Diff. Just wait til I have to take an antibiotic - I so don't want to be around for that. I should probably consider spending a little less time here. I need to try to open my world up again. It's been a long time coming. I haven't trusted that I'm really better (knock on wood). Friday is 12 weeks.

trob25
Regular Contributor

Postby trob25 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:56 pm

You are a good person feelinghopeful, and I think all of us can understand what you went through/are going through as we all worry about C-Diff a lot!

You have offered me so much good advice I can't thank you enough, now I hope you can find peace in the future. Spending less time on here would probably be good for you, but don't leave because you have excellent advice and tips that I and others still need to hear!

micheler23
Regular User

Postby micheler23 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:57 pm

Hey Trob,

Thanks for your concern. I really was hoping it wasnt a relapse, especially since I wasnt having any D. At least I made it to 28 days. Hoping this time sticks.

You are just a little a couple of months ahead of me and it gives me inspiration.

I, too hate what it does to me. I just want it to end so I can go back to my life! Been trying to get back to the old me, little by little. My anxiety and stress has been so high since I got C Diff that I was just put on something to help bring it down.

I wish you well and let me know how you make out.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”