Relapse Question

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
HennyPenny68
Contributor

Relapse Question

Postby HennyPenny68 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:19 pm

For those of you who have relapsed after stopping a round of treatment, do you usually get tested again before your able to get started on another round of treatment? Since you usually have to call your doc and asked to be tested first and then send your sample in and wait a few days for the results, don't you keep getting worse while you wait? How long after a round of treatment was it before you relapsed?

It has been almost 4 weeks since I stopped my treatment of vanco but at night my stomach hurts when I lie down at night like it has when I've had active c diff but my stools were formed. Then two days ago, I had diarrhea. Yesterday evening it wasn't diarrhea but it looked different like it usually does before I get full blown active c diff diarrhea. It's so hard to know what to do because I don't want to feel I'm an alarmist but when it happens right before a weekend, I wonder if it's going to get worse before I can get tested.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:39 pm

What I recommend that you do is to make an agreement with your doc that if you believe that your are relapsing, you take a sample and then start meds without waiting for the test result to come back. This will save you lots of needless suffering. With one relapse, they made me wait 3 days for the result and I kept getting sicker and sicker. I really didn't want to end up in the ER (again!). But I had D every 15 - 30 minutes day and night, plus pain, blood, fever, nausea, and generally feeling like death. After that nightmare, I made the above agreement with my doc.

I relapsed between 3-5 days after stopping meds, but we can relapse from 1 - 70 days or so.

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:58 pm

HennyPenny- You could just be experiencing IBS which is common after cdiff treatment. I would give it a while and hope that the symptoms improve.
Cindy

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”