Testing

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
iluvmydogs
Regular User

Testing

Postby iluvmydogs » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:31 pm

Do all labs use the same method to test for C. Diff? I was reading a pubmed article about testing options and their reliability. One test was the C DIFF CHEK and it sounded like a pretty reliable test.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articl ... tid=497597
"Friends don't let friends take Flouroquninolones"

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:38 pm

There is lots of info in the FAQ section under Tests. Sorry, I don't know the C DIFF CHEK.

HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:50 pm

I am posting another artical in Media Reports about this test.
Heather

Cdiff free 7yrs! Cdiff left me with IBS but, I am dealing with it!!
"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is god's business." Michael J. Fox

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:03 pm

To my knowledge there is only one test for cdiff -but different test to determine the type.
Cindy

ClDif
Regular Contributor

Postby ClDif » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:12 am

I think there are loads of different types of ELISA testing kits for c diff. Hence the great difference in their sensitivity, anything from 30 - 80% from what I have read. Elisa toxin testing is only one way of testing for c diff though. Culturing the organism and then doing a toxin test from culture is the most reliable one I believe, but is expensive and takes days or weeks and is hardly ever done. Necessary though to determine the strain of c diff though. Don't quote me on these details, I may be wrong...

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”