Could this be a relapse?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
nerenberg
New User

Could this be a relapse?

Postby nerenberg » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:44 am

Hi,

I had a 6 month battle with c diff that ended this past March. Last month, I wound up in the hospital for 6 days with a serious kidney infection. I was treated with IV AB Duracef for the infection and simultaneously given oral vanco to prevent c diff. I stopped taking the AB about 2 weeks ago and stopped the vanco last week. Last week, I also noticed an increase in gas and abdominal distention which I now look like I am 4 months preggo. ( not pregnant had hysterectomy ) Now, I am on the 3rd day of the big D (more than 6 per day), awful abdominal pain, gas, nausea, and exhaustion. I am beginning to wonder if it's coming back. I am seeing my primary care doc today and have put a call into my ID doc. I am really starting to get concerned. Any thoughts?
Emily

Allison
Administrator

Postby Allison » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:52 am

Hi Emily,

Your concerns are valid... and you were smart to call the docs as soon as you did. A stool test is probably in order, but raises the chance of a false negative result if conducted so soon after vanco. See what your ID doc says.

Unfortunately, there are no evidence-based results that prove taking vancocin simultaneously will other antibiotics will prevent a cdiff infection. It's still a good idea in the hopes it will work, but any "success" with that is purely anecdotal.
Infact, my own GI stopped the practice altogether because it has not worked successfully for his patients who are prone to cdiff. He leaves instructions to call the minute anything is amiss during or following a course of antibiotics, then he will prescribe vanco based on symptoms.

I'm really hoping your GI troubles are just residual from the vanco. It too can cause antibiotic associated diarrhea. If you're not so lucky this time, and especially if your symptoms worsen, getting back on meds quickly is the next best thing.
Let's hope.......

fire7163
Long Time Contributor

Postby fire7163 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:12 pm

Emily:
I totally agree with Allison's thoughts on this. I would request that besides testing for C-Diff, also run a Parasite screening. Remember that there are a lot of other things that can cause us abdominal distress, not just C-diff, but for many of us it's the 1st thing we suspect. I'd talk with your GI about your issues and concerns. It could very well be a side effect of the vanco and/or the probiotics. Remember your not going to get well over night. It will be a series of small gains, but they all add up.

Fire

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”