How long do spores survive? Out of hospital too soon?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Kaffy
Brand New Poster

How long do spores survive? Out of hospital too soon?

Postby Kaffy » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:23 pm

HI, I am new here. So relieved to have found this site. Husband has c.diff, 2nd occurrence after antibiotics for pneumonia...in US hospital.
My question is: How long do the spores live outside of the body?

He is currently in hospital, while I am attempting to clean every imaginable object! I want to have a sanitary environment, but don't know if I am being productive.

Also, when in "too soon" to be released from the hospital?

I've told the doctor that I want two 'negative' culture results, and a C/T scan on his intestines. He did not want to do a colonoscopy at this point, due to fraility of tissue, and I agreed under that circumstance.

Thank you ever so much - I have read so much, yet some basic questions are unanswered. I am very worried about him.

Although he can go to another care facility, I believe that he needs to stay in the hospital until "X" days without diarrhea. Am I wrong? There could possibly be other problems?

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 am

Kaffy,
Welcome to the group that no one wants to join, for you and your husband. Be sure to read All Users Read This First, Dr. Borody's article, Dr. McDonald's article (in the FAQ section under Articles by Experts), and all areas in FAQ that interest you.

Spores can survive outside the body for a long time. However, very few of us have given cdiff to other family members. My main concern would be if you or any others in your family are on antibiotics, because then you would be more susceptible to cdiff. Lots of hand-washing, for him and you, is your best defense. See Hygiene in FAQ for more info.

I would ask his doc about when is "too soon" to be released from the hospital. That is a medical question and we can't answer those. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”