Recovered from C. Diff but now need antibiotic again...

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
iluvmydogs
Regular User

Recovered from C. Diff but now need antibiotic again...

Postby iluvmydogs » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:51 pm

In 2004, I joined this forum (when it was the old format) when I received a diagnosis of C. Diff at the age of 25. I had been on Cipro for 5 days for a UTI. I have not had to use any antibiotics since until 3 weeks ago. I was given Bactrim for another UTI (that ended up being non-existant). I took it for 5 days. So far I have not had any issues with C. Diff reoccuring. Today, I find out from my gynecologist that I am going to need to take Diflucan (one dose today and one dose five days later) and a 5 day course of Metronidazole vaginal gel. She said I had an overgrowth of a normal bacteria and a mild yeast infection, most likely caused by the course of Bactrim. Lucky me.

Has anyone had to take/use either of these? I am wondering if the Metronidazole gel gives you the same side effects as oral Flagyl? Of course the doctor says no, but you know how that unreliable that can be. She also told me that Diflucan could not cause C. Diff but from what I've read in the FAQ section that is not true.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:22 pm

Hello,

I took Bactrim 6months ago for a UTI and I did fine with it. I know how you feel I was very, very scared it was the first antibiotic that I had to take sense having had CDiff.

I am by no means a DR but, my opinion about the Metronidazole gel is that it will not give you the same side effects as the oral Flagyl because it is not being absorbed in the gut.

As for the Diflucan I have never taken it so I really cant help you there. I would like to say though that once you have had CDiff ANY antibiotic can cause you to get CDiff again. I am sure that you know this but, if I were you I would tell your Dr that because he/she obviously knows little about it.

I hope all goes well for you. Keep us posted.
Heather

Cdiff free 7yrs! Cdiff left me with IBS but, I am dealing with it!!
"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is god's business." Michael J. Fox

iluvmydogs
Regular User

Postby iluvmydogs » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:27 pm

Thank you for your response, Heather. I took the one dose of Diflucan last night and so far so good. I am starting the Metrogel tonight, so we will see how that goes. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get a furry tongue again. lol. :)

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”