Infant with C Diff

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Infant with C Diff

Postby anlockwood » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:04 pm

Hi everyone!
Well this has been about the worst three weeks of my life. I was diagnosed with c diff and have now taken the flagyl and just stopped 4 days ago. For the last week my 6 month old son has had really foul smelling stools and been really fussy. They have had him on three different antibiotics while I was fighting my c diff so I was really concerned. Well the D he was having kept getting worse and he is absolutely miserable. His stool sample came back today as positive and we have to begin treatment. I know other people have dealt with this although I don't know if they were fighting it also themselves. My concerns are now that I am his sole care provider as my husband is deployed that he will give it back to me. I am super careful but when you bathe, dress and change diapers you are constantly exposed to that notorious area. Also I now worry that how he will ever be able to go back to daycare or the rest of his life. I know that is forward thinking but many people can't take antibiotics after they get this. How can I have a 6 month old that can't be on antibiotics? We all know how many ear infections and other types of infections they get. I just don't feel like I can handle anymore right now. Please help!!
Amanda

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:29 pm

Amanda,
I am so sorry to hear that your baby has cdiff. Whew, that is too much! I think that as long as you are not on antibiotics, you are not too likely to get cdiff again from him. If you haven't read the Hygiene info in FAQ, be sure to do that. Washing your hands (until they are about to fall off!) is the best thing. And bleaching laundry, in the bathroom, and even in the kitchen really helps.

I would talk to his doc about any antibiotics in the future. Be sure that he really needs them. There are often alternatives. I just read something (I wish I could remember where) about ear infections, to the effect that antibiotics are often overused in treating them, and that most children would get well without them. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:57 pm

Amanda,
So sorry -- you have too much to handle.

Nancy is right. You probably won't get this from the baby. Babies often recover faster than adults. (Some are born with C. diff. in their GI tract but lose the bacteria later.) Be super careful to wash your hands as Nancy said esp. after diaper changing. You might want to get those "throwaway" plastic gloves. Keep the soiled diapers in a separate closed container & dispose of them ASAP.

As Nancy said, read FAQ-Hygiene. Also, read FAQ-Children (inc. infants) with C. diffile. If your baby doesn't respond to treatment quickly, take him to a ped. GI.

Yes, some can't take antibiotics again, but don't worry about that now. Fewer peds. are giving antibiotics for ear infections -- some use antibiotic ear drops if the infection isn't too severe. I read one study that said that children who didn't receive antibiotics recovered from ear infections as rapidly as those who didn't receive them. We just returned from England. Our older son lives there. They have 3 kids -- none have ever been on antibiotics.

Don't mililary wives "stick together?" Are there some other service wives who could help you cope?

Best wishes for you & the baby. Let us know how you are doing. Best wishes to your husband & thank him for his service to our country.

RNIAM1075
New User

Postby RNIAM1075 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:29 pm

I feel for you! My daughter had C. Diff from the age of one month to six months. I truly never thought she would get rid of it. I am so sorry that you have it too! You may want to talk to his doctor, but I found that one of the things that helped her pull through was the use of probiotics. In fact, she is still "weaning" off of them. At our last GI doctor appt. they told us that if she ever has to take antibiotics that we will have to increase her probiotic dose to help her keep from getting C. Diff again. I also feed her lots of yogurt.

She had two rounds of Flagyl and one round of Vancomycin before she got well. We used disposable gloves and washed the HECK out of our hands. I also made sure she kept her hands away from her diaper area. If she got into that area I would wash her hands too. If she soiled anything such as changing table pads, bouncy seats, etc... we washed them in the hottest water and used bleach when we could. Also, know that you have to use soap and water when you wash your hands because the purell stuff doesn't kill C. Diff. Your hands will look like sandpaper.

I wish you lots of luck and a quick recovery to you both. I know it seems like it will never end, but it will, you have to remain strong!

Let me know if I can help in anyway
Cindy

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:03 pm

Thanks so much to everyone for your support. It really helps. I get so overwhelmed by all of this and just having people who understand what I am going through and have been through it really really helps me!!
Amanda

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”