New here and have lots of question

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

New here and have lots of question

Postby anlockwood » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:06 am

HI Everyone!
I am new to this board but so glad I have found it. I have been so stressed by c diff and find that most people just don't understand my concerns. I am 27 years old and have been diagnosed with c diff. I was on Clindamycin a month ago and then on Biaxin and that is when it started. I was diagnosed about 4 days after getting it and was put on Flagyl. I did the three pills a day for 10 days. I did have c diff pretty severe so I am hoping that is enough to get rid of it. I just took my last dose yesterday so I am now in that waiting period. I am just a nervous wreck. I am came awfully close to having toxic megacolon because the ER doctors gave me Lomotil and it stopped everything for two days until I ended up in the hospital horribly sick and in pain. That luckily worked itself out but scared me to death. My main concerns now are it coming back and also getting sick and having to be put on antibiotics again. How likely is it that I will get this back again? I still have terrible cramping and nauseau. Also my husband is deployed currently and I work fulltime and have an 8 yr old and a 6 month old. The 6 month old brings everything home from daycare and I don't have any help so I am the only one to care for him which makes me super sucsepitible to picking up his illnesses. He has had a nasty cough and now I think I am getting it. I have a tendency towards bronchitis and I worry if I get that how will they be able to treat it? All this keeps going through my head and I end up making myself physically sick from worrying but I just can't help it. I have no one else who understands and little help. Please let me know your opinions as I see many of you have struggled with this for awhile.
Thanks so much!
Amanda

diane
Long Time Contributor

Postby diane » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:55 am

HI Amanda,

Hopefully you'll be cured with the first round that you took.. Wash your hands alot and try to disinfect if one of the kids get sick.. I also have takend airborne whenever I feel something coming on.. it usually keeps it from going in my chest and cuts my cold in half. Just my opinion.. my whole family swears by it.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:37 pm

Amanda,
Welcome to the group that no one wants to join. Be sure to read All Users Read This First, Dr. Borody's article, Dr. McDonald's article (in the FAQ section under Articles by Experts), and all areas of FAQ that interest you.

About 80% of people recover after 1-2 rounds of Flagyl or vanco, so I hope you are in the lucky majority. I was misdiagnosed for a month and took Lomotil among other meds during that time, so I know how miserable that can be. Flagyl made me very queasy, so that may be the cause of your nausea. See the FAQ section for info about dealing with infections like bronchitis. You want to avoid antibiotics if at all possible. I found that doing the saline irrigation helps my respiratory infections a lot.

Whew, with your husband deployed and dealing with 2 children on your own, you really have your hands full. I was a single parent for many years and I remember when I had the flu, all I could do was make my kids peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for days on end, because I had no energy. I can't imagine having to deal with cdiff on top of dealing with kids. Can anyone from your day care help out on bad days?

Be sure to read the Ten Commandment of Surviving Cdiff, and Coping with the stress of cdiff, both in the FAQ section. Cdiff is terribly stressful, as we all know too well. But you will beat it. In fact, it is likely that you have already beaten it. I surely hope so. Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:08 pm

anlockwood,
Sorry for all your problems. Nancy is right -- you've probably "beat the bug" as about 80% of people do with one to two rounds of antibiotics. You could well have IBS as about one out of five people end up with it after C. diff. The symptoms are much the same as C. diff. See FAQ-IBS & FAQ-Three Day Rule. It often lingers for a long time. If you continue to have problems, get tested. See FAQ-Tests. Best to wait until you've been off Flagyl or Vanco. for 10 to 14 days.

Do see FAQ-Infections for "tips"on how to avoid/overcome illnesses. Bronchitis is often viral -- which won't respond to antibiotics anyway.

Yes, little kids can be "germ factories." Can see why you are concerned. Have your son wash his hands when he gets home from day care. As Nancy said, wash your hands well, too. I also do saline irrigation, & it helps a lot. Try to not let yourself get "run down" -- easy to say.

Can you get some help from other women with spouses in the armed services? I've always heard they "stick together."

No one who hasn't had C. diff. knows the terror of getting it again. It can be a horrible disease -- physically, financially, & emotionally.

Good luck & keep us posted.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”