What amount of probiotic is enough and which ones??? HELP!!

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
terribooth
Brand New Poster

What amount of probiotic is enough and which ones??? HELP!!

Postby terribooth » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:20 am

Hi- I am a recently joined member of support group. My user name is terribooth. I am wanting to ask a question about length of time you can have this and which probiotics to use and how much of them a day?

I have had this for 2 ½ months. I have been on 2 doses of Flagyl, 250 mg then increased to 500 mg. (came back) Then Vancomycin 125 mg 4 times a day for 14 days plus Rifampin 300 mg. a day (came back after wait of 10 days, was going to do samples 3 days but came back) I am now on a 30 day round of Vancomycin, 250 mg twice a day. With the Rifampin For 30 days as well.

I have 2 questions –

Does CDiff usually disappear after 4 rounds of medication. I know the www rule or the 10 day rule, but what is normal? Also, How does anyone know how much or which probiotics to take and if they are enough?? I am taking Actiflora, 180 billion a day and Saccharomyes Boulardi 10 billion a day so a total of 190 Billion a day. I was also taking Primal Defense up to 6 pills a day and Culturelle. So about 300 Billion a day and people at Health Food Store told me I was taking too many probiotics and to cut them down. I feel like I am treating this myself, as my doctor does not know specifically how much I should take. Do you have any answers here.

I so need some clarification and some help.

Thank you so much!!!

Terri Booth

marscan
Regular Contributor

Postby marscan » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:42 am

Hi Terri - and welcome. In my opinion, your doc has you on the correct course - many times Flagyl fails, then we move on to the Vanco. Also, you may want to read about pulsing and tapering - many of us have had success doing that. 2.5 months (believe it or not) is relatively soon, so dont give up. I was totally convinced I would never ever get thru this. Many many sufferers on this board, who have had C Diff much longer than I, told me to be patient, it will go away eventually - and it did. I was "only" a five month sufferer, and took much the same path as you are taking. Just hang in there, and read as much as you can here, including the success stories (they'll keep you sane..lol), and case histories. You'll be amazed how similiar many of the stories are.

Also the probiotics - there is alot of information on them too here. It seems that the only "common" thing with them, is that everyone has a different experience from them. My favorite line for those comes from one of the moderators that says "might help, cant hurt". Personally, I had better luck with my pharmacist than my Doc when discussing probies.

Just my long, rambling two cents worth...hoping you see real progress soon. Feel better!
"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac....."

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”