I am in need of help

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
kellyb306
New User

I am in need of help

Postby kellyb306 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:17 pm

Hi guys! Long time no talk to. So I had cdiff back in January and beat it. I have stayed on my probiotics and eat gluten and dairy free. I was diagnosed a week ago with a UTI. I did everything under the sun to not take a antibiotic but it got into my bladder and kidneys the doc made me take it. I am on Proquin XR for 3 days. 1 pill a day. I have not had any "D" yet but I am getting the gross feeling in my stomach again and the cramps. I'm taking Sac Boul 2x a day but I need to know if anyone else has any advice for me. I went through 4 months of hell and I feel like I am back at square 1 again. I don't know if it will come back but I'm trying to stay positive and pray that it doesn't. Please help!!

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:13 pm

Hi Kelly. My ID doc has told me that every time I take antibiotics now that I've had C Diff, I'll need to take vanco with it (can't take flagyl) to help prevent C Diff from coming back. My mother, who also had C Diff twice does the same thing. She stays on antibiotics for UTI's and takes flagyl every time she taks AB's. So far, so good. The doc also told me to avoid AB's for the first 6 months to a year after C Diff. I know some people here take them and do just fine, but I don't want to risk it again, so I'll take the vanco. You're taking your probiotics, so that's good, and I'm sure you're eating yogurt. Many docs in my area now are big on eating yogurt while on AB's. Maybe you could increase the Sac Boul while on AB's. Hopefully it's just the AB's making you feel bad and C Diff won't return. I don't know of anything else to do other than wait for someone else to post who may be more helpful.

Best wishes to you...Karen

kellyb306
New User

Postby kellyb306 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:42 pm

Thank you! I figured I should take the vanco too I will call my GI tomorrow and see if he can put me on it...I'm taking 10 billion CFU's of Sach Boul a day so maybe I should take more. I still can't eat yogurt it upsets my stomach.

ohleary
New User

Postby ohleary » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:13 pm

My understanding on yogurt is that yes, it has healthy bacteria in it, but most of them don't survive the harsh acidic environment of your stomach. The capsules, on the other hand, (should) have an enteric coating that survives the harsh environment, ensuring the bacteria's save arrival into the intestines, where they can fend for themselves.

I've taken the course of flagyl with a recurrence, and then vanco 500mg/4x day, and my doc told me to take floristor for 2-3 months. I've taken 2 each morning and night, and supported it with 50-billion count bacteria capsules 6x/day. I've pulled back a bit on the bacteria pills but so far, 12 days off vanco and still my movements occasionally look suspect, but no major cramping or D.

I'm worried once I stop the probiotics the c.diff will be right back.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”