opinions on colonoscopy

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

opinions on colonoscopy

Postby jenkelly15 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:24 pm

Hey everyone I know this has come up before, but I just wanted to hear from people who had a colonoscopy done. My doctor swears the prep work will not give me c-diff back and my good bacteria is not effected by that at all. I am just nervous because I remember reading on here that people thought that caused theirs. I'm really scared to have it done too. What if something horrible happens. The only reason she is making me have one is because I told her when I go to the bathroom sometimes I still feel like I have to go and since it's a new thing she said she wanted to make sure everything was okay and I have some stomach pains too. I hope everything is okay and it's just IBS or something like that, or maybe I'm still healing from the c-diff, but it's been 143 days off the vanco I thought I would be fine. Now, I am so worried it is something serious since I'm still not normal. Anyway, sorry I rambled just explaining my situation and would love to hear from everyone who has had one thanks so much.

fire7163
Long Time Contributor

Postby fire7163 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:47 pm

Jen:

Hi there, No need to panic on the scope, I've had 6 of them. All the prep is going to do is flush out your Gi system. You are just going to have a number of very productive bathroom trips in a short time. Like we've never done that before !!! You shouldn't remember a thing about the proceedure. There's a good chance of you just dealing with healing. It's going to take time. Just relax and wait for hopefully the good news.

Fire

mayotte
Contributor

Postby mayotte » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:55 pm

I had a colonoscopy during the time I had c.diff, before they had diagnosed it. The prep was the same as my life was at the time..always in the bathroom. It really wasn't that bad. However, I was told the colonoscopy just showed some colitis, no mention of c.diff. It was another month before I finally had a positive result on the numerous stool samples I trudged up to the hospital lab. If you are concerned about c.diff returning, maybe some probiotics for a week or so after the procedure wouldn't hurt.

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:58 pm

Thanks guys for your great responses. Yeah I have my mother-in-law's wedding 2 days after the scope, so I hope there is no real healing time. The doctor said I should be fine the next day. Anyway, again thanks for your help. Yeah I figure the prep work will be a pain but like I was telling my friend I went through that with the c-diff, but that's what scares me is that it will make me remember all those horrible days that I have been trying so hard to forget. Oh well better to get it checked and make sure it is nothing serious. The doctor really doesn't think it is but says the only way to be 100% is to look up there.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:09 pm

HI Jen. Please let us know how it turns out. I'm still having those same tummy issues, myslelf, but no pain, just soreness. I hope the news is good, and if so, you can relax a little knowing you're just going through healing!

Best wishes to you! Karen

JenRenee5
New User

Postby JenRenee5 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:43 pm

Hey there,

I just had one done this past saturday. Instead of driking that stuff they gave me the prep pills. It really wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I never even knew the procedure happened. They did two biopsies that I haven't got back yet. I was on vanco with they did it though but i'm still taking it in a taper. Hope yours goes as well as mine did. best wishes

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:41 am

Jan,
There is always a risk with any test, but I've had many "scopes" without a problem as have others. And, yes, some docs. now give pills instead of that horrible "Co Litely" (name by a sadist).

You could have IBS as about l of of 5 with C. diff. get it afterwards. See FAQ-IBS & FAQ-Three Day Rule. Remember, C. diff. is very hard on the GI tract so don't expect to "bounce back" immediately.

If you are nevous about the scope, postpone it until more time has elapsed & the wedding is over.

I've been "over" C. diff. since l999 & still have "bad" days -have IBS. I've learned to ignore them.

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:12 am

Thanks for all the great advice. I think with my personality I should just do the test for peace of my mind if not I will worry I have something more serious like colon cancer or something and what if I did god forbid I'd rather make sure everything is okay that way I can get better no matter what it is as long as I know. I'm sure it's nothing like you said Bobbie probably IBS that's what the doctor said too. Thanks again everyone I appreciate all the responses and your help.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”