Selective IgA Deficiency

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
solaceh20
New User

Selective IgA Deficiency

Postby solaceh20 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:53 pm

I was diagnosed with Selective IgA Deficiency(IgAD) shortly after learning that I had c diff. Apparently, it is a very common immunodeficiency (often looked over by physicians) that results in your body not being able to fight infection in the mucosal areas e.g. intestines, lungs, mouth, sinuses etc. There's been little research with the correlation between IgAD and c diff. However, some studies have shown those with IgAD are prone to c diff relapse. I've been relapsing constantly since I was first diagnosed and was wondering if there's anyone out there that may have had a similar situation?

Thanks.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:47 pm

Hi. I've heard of this but haven't had any experience with it, so I hope someone who knows about it will come along and help you out. I read your other post about relapse after relapse and was wondering if vanco is the only thing you've been given? There are many people who do a taper along with another med followed up with it to bind the toxins. I only had to use the vanco...sorry I couldn't be more helpful but I know someone will respond to your post soon.

Hoping you can get this under control soon and stop relapsing! You're stronger than I am. 7 relapses would have just devastated me. I read that you're interested in the field of naturopathic medicine. I take some that help boost my immune system and went to see a naturopathic MD for treatment of C Diff, along with taking conventional medicatons. He gave me some very good treatments that helped me feel better, and if you're interested, please feel free to PM me.

Take care...Karen

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:57 am

solaceh20,
Both my son and I had C. diff. twice -- many years apart. Tests indicated we are both deficient in one one the immuglobulins. (I think it was IgA.) I'll see if I can find my records. I had C. diff. 4 yrs. the lst time. (Don't panic -- extentuating circumstances -- & again 2 years later when I had pneumonia (& another antibiotic) again. My son had 3 relapses (was the youngest & one of the lst people to be given Vanco. the first time he had C. diff. (l979) & none the 2nd time (when he was treated with just Questran -- which doesn't have a high "cure" rate.) My son still gets frequent infections, but he smokes. (Also, I had a high risk pregnancy with him -- a recent study linked that with infections in a child.) We took him to National Jewish (mecca of asthma & immune diseases) when he was about 15.

I went to an immunolologist years ago.who scared the h ... out of me. Told me how bad I was, that I would continue to get worse, wind up on IGG, etc. I didn't go back to him for 4 years when he told me I had improved greatly!!! He asked why I hadnt returned earlier. I said it was because I didn't like his negatative attitude. I was "cured" by "the broth." See Doctors - Dr. Mark Allen.

I am very careful to avoid additional infections & hope to avoid antibiotics as much as I can altho. I still get pneumonia easily. I am in crowds constantly but move away from an obviously ill person. In two weeks, we are going to the UK to visit my son & his family -- 3 grandchildren.
Usually, I "pick up"something from the kids, but it is worth it to see them.

I wash my hands when necessary & always ask docs. if they wash their hands in between patients -- which endears me to them. My son is a microbiologist but doesn't stress handwashing with his kids altho. they have been healthier than either of my kids. Go figure.

Be sure to ask your doc. about the pneumovax shot & anything else you can do to protect yourself against further infections. I hope you are seeing a GI or an ID who is familar with relapsing/recurrent C. diff. You might consider seeing an immunologist if you haven't already done so.

One further note: I've had so many "scary" test results in the last 15 years (since my lst episode) of C. diff., that I should be dead from the stress. Still here, however.

solaceh20
New User

Postby solaceh20 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:10 am

Wow Bobbie. I commend you on your strength and perserverance. I do hope you have a wonderful trip in the UK.

I know about stress---it seems my life has revolved around it since I was young. I watched my mother suffer with a rare form of breast cancer for many years and lost her at an early age. I think watching her die has made me even more frightened for my health. I try to keep my stress levels low as best I can with yoga and meditation as I know it triggers lower immune response, but nobody's perfect.

I am currently in the Immunology field working with HIV/AIDS researchers. I have daily contact with ID docs as well. I do see a GI and a ND/MD on a regular basis. I am trying to boost my immune system with alternative supplements and exercise. I am extremely vigilant about hand washing and sometimes excessive, but will make sure to ask the docs. However, I will definitely look into vaccinations and other things to protect me.

Also, in the event you and/or your son are IgAD there have been cases of anaphalaxis in response to blood transfusions of blood with IgA. Just somethine to be aware of...I find knowledge is power around my health these days. Alternative therapies previous to my troubles with cdiff helped me tremendously to fight sinus infections. I am not sure if you're open to seeing a naturopath or even an osteopath. I've come to realize that I am doing my body more harm with antibiotics and take them only with absolutely necessary.

I do hope that you continue to remain cdiff free and are able to ward off infections as best possible.

Thanks for your comments and information.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”