My 13 mo. old has C Diff

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
luvbugal03
Brand New Poster

My 13 mo. old has C Diff

Postby luvbugal03 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:54 pm

Hi all.

Well im brand new to this and I actually dont know much about this.

My son Trevor was first diagnosed with c diff on June 27, 2008. We live in Indiana & had just had a major flash flood to our area. Our home was destroyed by the flood. Well it is believed that my son, then 11 mo, was exposed to c diff becasue of the nasty waters. The only way i can think he got it was that when we were at the house working we brought the contamination home to him. He was not on nor had been on any anitbiotics since he was 6 mo old for an upper respiratory infection.

He is currently on his 2nd round of metroniazole. The 1st dose was started on June 27th, this second round was started July 28th. I am also giving him probiotic of lactobacillus, just the recomended dose of 5 drops a day.

He has just recently had a flair up due to the fact that he had an ear infection. Well his doc put him on amoxacylin(sp?) knowing he still had cdiff. I just found out by my own research that this only makes things worse, I stopped the other antibiotic early. So he is having 3-5 loose/watery very foul smelling stools a day.

Prior to his second round i wanted him tested 14 days after his 1st round. He was still +. So hes back on another 14 day treatment. He did have a little bit of symptoms before the 2nd round but he was doing ok. But since being put on the amoxicylin(sp?) it has gotten bad again. His little bottom is very red and sore, poor baby.

I guess i just need a little point in the right direction as to wear i should go next. His doc doesnt really seem to know much of anything about c diff. But she is a very good doc & would gladly refer him if i asked. Should he see a GI doc? Should he be on a restricted diet? What should that be? I feel very lost. Any help would be great! I feel very lost and alone.

ohleary
New User

Postby ohleary » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:12 pm

Look into Floristor. It has been widely studied and found successful, and is taken by many to maintain healthy bacterial flora. It is in capsule form though. My gastro told me to take it along with vancomycin during my treatment, and currently am still on it, he said to take it for 3 months no matter what. Taking bacteria (Lactobaccilus) during antibiotic therapy is a waste of time, as the bacteria are killed. Floristor is a yeast, not affected by antibiotic, and works during treatment. Also, find a Bifidobacterium probiotic to give him, these are the strains that inhabit the large intestine.

Most of these stories are the same, and I know what has made an impact on me is the probiotics (Floristor and Renew Life Ultimate Flora Critical Care). I personally way overdosed on the Renew Life, my friend works in the bacteria "industry" and they take them when they go overseas, taking 6 times the normal dose. I believe there is no risk, as these aren't absorbed by the intestines, but read up to make sure. I took 6 50-billion count pills a day right after my vancomycin, and doing great. Have tapered to 3/day now.

Above all read about it, follow your doctors advice, and let them know what you know. I believe probiotics are the key in controlling c diff.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:22 pm

I' so sorry to hear about the flooding of your home and your son's subsequent illness. You've been through a lot! It hurts to see your child so sick. There is Florastor For Kids and also Cuturelle...those two come in capsule form that can be opened and can be sprinkled on food or in whatever he's drinking. My great-niece has terrible allergies (22 months old) and for the past six months has been on antibiotics. They live in Richmond, VA, and I was pleasantly surprised when my niece told me the pediatrican put my great-niece on both of these each time she takes an antibiotic. She also uses something called "butt paste" on her bottom because she does have very loose stool on the antibiotics, but you should ask the pediatrician. I think she also sits her in the tub w/something to soothe her bottom but can't remember what that is :-( Since you said his pediatrician would have no probelm referring him, I would ask for her to do so...pedicatric GI. I hope you can get things under control soon and Trevor feels better!

Karen

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:20 pm

Welcome to the group that no one wants to join, for you and Trevor. Be sure to read All Users Read This First, Dr. Borody's article, Dr. McDonald's article (in the FAQ section under Articles by Experts), and all areas in FAQ that interest you.

You have gotten a lot of good advice. I agree that a pediatric GI doc is your best bet. See the FAQ section for info about children with cdiff. You could try the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) and see how that agrees with him. You are not alone. We're here and we care. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”