need dvice whts going on is it IBS

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
falco22
Contributor

need dvice whts going on is it IBS

Postby falco22 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:46 am

Ok c diff diagnosed in Feb 2 rounds of flagyl. still had some symptoms. Infect doc said No more antibiotics stay off. (because some people are positive for a while even though its not active? ) At that point I was having D once a every 10 days for 2d ays. had a colonoscopy in april no signs of damage from c diff. was tested at that point for C diff it was negative. Well Stomach still rumbled and had the D ever 10 days or so for 2 days followed by constipation. Had a repeat C diff test in MAy it was also negative. Now its August had same thing good for 2 weeks D for s days crramping is unbeliable Docs just say its IBS. How long before i get better? Should I get teseted again/

marscan
Regular Contributor

Postby marscan » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:26 am

Hi Falco...sounds like you've had all the tests and are actually well on your way to healing (just my opinion of course). Lotta good info on the site about post-infection IBS, fascinating to read how long we suffer after we've "healed"...blah. I actually still have bad days every now and then, and Ive read some can suffer the after affects for months or years. Lovely isnt it? It does get better...verrrrrrrry slowly - but my guess would be that you are C Diff free, just a victim of, as someone said, "the gift that keeps on giving".

Best of luck to you.
"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac....."

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:29 am

My guess is that your docs are correct when they say it is IBS. So if I were you, I wouldn't get tested again. It can take us a long time to heal after cdiff. For me it's been over 2 years and I still get D very easily, especially if I eat much fiber, but sometimes for no obvious reason. Are your symptoms related to what you eat? You might try keeping a food diary to see if that is the case.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:41 pm

Hi Falco...your story sounds a lot like mine, but I didn't have D after the meds...mine went the other way. Couldn't go. Still had terrible digestive issues and still have off days. My ID doc and my GI tested me and I was negative...both told me no more vanco. They wanted me to build up the good flora in my gut. I have to say, they were right. My ID doc told me that some people develop IBS that can stay with them for months and sometimes years. but it improves with time for most. There is medication for it. I don't need it now, thank goodness and I'm 121 days off the vanco. The good days are a very good sign. That's how my recovery started...a few good days, then bad, then good. I think you're on your way! As far as getting tested again, I did...many times...lol. Each time it was negative and I finally was convinced I didn't have it anymore. Some people choose not to re-test, but I just needed that reassurance. My best wishes to you in your recovery!

Karen

ohleary
New User

Postby ohleary » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:27 pm

Hey, your docs sound like they're onto it. I'd not worry so much, worry and stress alone can cause IBS type symptoms. I suggest you get some Floristor and go to your local health food place and get some probiotic blend, some with some Bifidobacterium in it. Take 1 or 2 Floristor twice a day, and a few probiotics a day, tapering off to one probiotic a day after a couple weeks.

There is growing evidence that the use of probiotics (especially Floristor) along with the Flagyl or Vanco greatly reduces the recurrence rate of c diff.

I went through Flagyl (horrible) and had a relapse. I then did 10 days of Vanco with concurrent Floristor, then after ending Vanco, Floristor (4x day) and probiotic (6-50 billion pills/day tapering to 3/day), and so far after a week no symptoms.

Patrick

falco22
Contributor

probitotics

Postby falco22 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:19 am

thanks PAtrick for the advise. I think i am gonna try the Florastor again.
Good luck to you

duhfur
New User

Postby duhfur » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:11 pm

I'm still confused, how do I know if it's a c cdiff relapse or IBS?

HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:37 pm

duhfur,

It is sometimes hard to tell the difference between IBS and Cdiff because the symptoms are very similar. What I was told is that as long as you are not running a fever, have blood in your stool, not loosing weight and you are not having chronic D there is a good chance that you have IBS W/D.

Your best bet though is to go with your gut if you think you may still have CDiff have a test done. Just make sure that you are 10-14 days off of Flagyl or Vanco.
Heather

Cdiff free 7yrs! Cdiff left me with IBS but, I am dealing with it!!
"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is god's business." Michael J. Fox

Renee
New User

blood in stool

Postby Renee » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:05 am

Is blood in the stool always obvious (red or black) or can it be deceiving to the eye?
Thank you,
Renee
Renee

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”