heating pads?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
rnee1974
New User

heating pads?

Postby rnee1974 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:22 am

In the evenings when the pain is probably at it`s worse...I wonder if a heating pad would be ok to use?Lastnight I tried it while laying in my bed but it seemd to get worse when I panicked and ripped it off of me.Would this upset my stomach worse.Was I just being paranoid?Maybe it would have gotten better but my stomach seemed to go crazy!

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:34 pm

A heating pad is one of the best things for pain. So I don't know why it made you feel worse. You might try it again and see how it goes. Maybe a lower setting would be better? Good luck.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:09 pm

I agree with Nancy. Best investment I ever made. Many now have a "shut off" button. I still use one. Try it again, but as she suggested, use a lower setting. AND no side effects.

Also, I found curling up on your side (with the heating pad) in a fetal position helped with the pain. Try it & see.

rnee1974
New User

Postby rnee1974 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:00 pm

thanks,maybe thats it...I was laying on my back and things move more like that.I think I just had a small panick attack,my stomach sounds so mad at me sometimes

Kathy H.
New User

Postby Kathy H. » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:56 pm

New at this, so I probably I shouldn't respnd. Just throw out anything I write as newby. But thought I would offer.

I was wondering about heat vs. cold for comfort also. I am still running higher white count so the heat makes everything move faster which is a relief in am, but it causes me pain afternoons and pm.'s. I may be adding the heat at the wong stage of this disorder.

Heat helps stimulate white count. There were times I would describe the feeling as cooking in my lower gut, and that was without added heat.
My knees' and hips have quit hurting all the time. (Six weeks into treatment) Those big joints make a lot of white cell response, so they hurt and ache and go up and down in intensity with my white count. I can now predict with some accuracy what my labs will show for white counts and of course the potassium levels. When my calves lock up with cramps the potassium is too low again.

I have found laying curled on one side helps. Usually the right side where the big intestinal loop has better-bigger space. That seems to get me through to am. No expert, many questions. I am reivewing all the post questions, and am thankful because you all have been life line.

I am wishing well to all.

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:36 pm

I have battled low potassium since the beginnings of cdiff. I eat 2 bananas a day (which I do not like) without fail and drink 1 gatorade per day.........counts stay up.

As far as cold goes I would think it would make spasms of the intestines worse. But everyone is different..........even for babies with colic heat is recommended.
Cindy

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”