questran side effect?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
ck110
Brand New Poster

questran side effect?

Postby ck110 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:37 am

My doctor recently put me on questran in addition to vanco- my first bout of cdiff was over a year ago, nearly fatal, toxic megacolon, pseudomembranous colitis, the whole deal, and resulted in 2 weeks in the hospital. since then, id been on the vanco but everytime i came off i ended up in the hospital again. ive tried xifaxan which did not help me, and am really hoping i can get off the vanco once and for all soon!
For anyone who has taken questran, i was wondering if it made you tired/fatigued? I don't believe this is listed as a side effect but I've been horribly tired(moreso than usual!) since around the time i began taking. i know it could be due to the cdiff itself or malnutrition, but thought id see if anyone else experienced this

thanks in advance for any replied- i appreciate it!

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:59 pm

Welcome to the group that no one wants to join. Be sure to read All Users Read This First, Dr. Borody's article, Dr. McDonald's article (in the FAQ section under Articles by Experts), and all areas in FAQ that interest you.

I only took Questran once, during a horrid relapse where they made me wait 3 days for a positive test result before giving me any more vanco. I was having D every 10 - 30 minutes, day and night. After a day and a half of this, they gave me Questran, which brought the D down to every 1-2 hours. I only took it for a day and a half, until they gave me vanco again. I was so darn sick the whole time that I really am not a good person to answer your question.

Have you tried tapering or pulsing off vanco? Pulsing is what finally worked for me, after 8 months of cdiff. They tell me that everyone beats cdiff eventually, so know that this is coming for you too.

ck110
Brand New Poster

re:

Postby ck110 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:18 pm

Hi Nancy,
thanks for your reply. yup, tried pulsing- a number of times actually. ive been on pulse/tapers for as long as 3 month periods and still the cdiff returned after. i've actually only been off of the vanco for maybe 3-4 days max since this all started over a year ago. luckily we confirmed that i am not resistant to the vanco, just doesnt seem to kick this for good!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:13 pm

ck100,
Just be sure & space other meds. (including Flagyl & Vanco. ) & probiotics as far apart from the questran as possible or it will "bind" the other meds. make them less effective.

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:44 pm

ck110- Welcome to my dumb luck club! I have been on vanco for 7 years and still can not come off it totally! The doctors now tell me I would be signing my death certificate to try again to stop it. How true that is......I do not want to test the theory! The fatigue with the questrian may not be from the questrian at all but from the beginning of the bacteria building back up in your system if you have stopped the vanco. I know everytime I stop the vanco the first sign is pure exhaustion before any other symptom. I have seen so many doctors I am worn out because they all say the same thing " We are doing all we can do!" They all seem to want me to wait out a new drug on the scene. What a great life this is!
Cindy

ck110
Brand New Poster

re

Postby ck110 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:01 pm

sorry to hear about your struggles too cindy! well ironically...ended up in the hospital last week once again! we're not sure if the cdiff started to relapse or if it was just the horrendous effects its had on me acting up- after lots of testing, found out i have gastroparesis(hence my constant nausea and not feeling hungry for a year) so ive started some medicine for that and now on vanco 125 four times a day...one of these days i will get off this dang medicine!
thanks for your support!
christine

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”