Mom is taking antibiotics... I am paranoid and worried !

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
gahgah604
New User

Mom is taking antibiotics... I am paranoid and worried !

Postby gahgah604 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:10 am

Hello,

My mom is 62 years old, retired and she is a diabetic, not too mention very obese and not in the best of health. She lives at home with me.

She went to the ER and got diagnosed with cellulitis in her leg, the doctor gave her 2 days of IV anitbiotics (Cefazolin), now she is taking 7 days of Doxycycline.

I am really paranoid that she will get cdiff, what are her chances of getting this horrible infection ? I heard that talking probiotics while on antibiotics is useless, you must wait until after the antibiotic to start the probiotics... is this true ? Is there anything else she can do to prevent cdiff ?

When would the cdiff normally appear if she did end up getting it ? how would it appear ? how could we tell the difference between normal antibiotic induced diarrhea, or her regular IBS diarrhea ? Could you tell the difference between these bouts of diarrhea compared to the beginning of a cdiff illness ?

I am also paranoid because I had a severe bout of diarrhea that lasted about 9 days in 2005. I was not officially diagnosed with cdiff but it was painful and terrifying. I got a painful anal fissure that has been with me ever since from that episode. I am actually terrified of diarrhea so cdiff really freaks me out. I think if I caught cdiff I would be in so much pain from the fissure that I would not be able to handle it ! I know my mom has not developed cdiff yet, but the fact that she is on antibiotics is really freaking me out... not too mention reading all these horror stories on here ! If she did get it, we have to share a bathroom ! what could be done to prevent the spread of cdiff ? I seriously almost have an anxiety attack even thinking about that.

please help me and my mom.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:54 am

I surely hope that your mom does not get cdiff. I take it that she has never had it in the past? If not, her chances of getting it from antibiotics are pretty low. I really wouldn't worry at this point. Once you have had cdiff, then you need to worry about antibiotics. The "horror stories" that you read here happen to a minority of people. Several folks here have taken Doxycycline after having cdiff, without problems.

If by some small chance your mom should get cdiff, it is very individual about when it might appear. It could be after taking antibiotics for a few days, but it could be after a few months. Cdiff is worse than IBS. I had D probably 70 times a day with cdiff.

See the FAQ section under Hygiene for info about preventing the spread of cdiff. It is not all that easy to catch. I was misdiagnosed for a month, told that I did not have a bacterial infection (haha), and so I was not very careful about hygiene. We only have one bathroom and my husband didn't get it. The main thing is to wash your hands lots. Also bleach the toilet and sink, and use paper towels.

You can take probiotics while you take antibiotics, but be sure to space them as far apart from the antibiotics as possible. I can't tell you about any scientific studies concerning how much they might help.

I had a fissure due to cdiff. What does your doc say about yours? Mine was helped by suppositories. I used Prep H and one I found online called Neohealar. Good luck.

gahgah604
New User

Postby gahgah604 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:27 pm

do you think that if i did catch cdiff, it would rip my fissure open and cause me to have excruciating pain ? like what could I do ? if you are going 70 times a day with liquid diarrhea, I assume that I would be in the hospital with fissure pain ! If you can't take immodium with cdiff, what the hell can you do to stop the diarrhea ?

can you take immodium while you are in Flagyl or Vanco ?

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:40 am

gahgah604,
You are asking medical questions that need to be asked (& answered by your doctor).

Most docs. say Imodum is a "no no" with C. diff. A few OK it. Check with your personal physician. If you aren't already going to a GI or ID, I'd see one. They usually know more about the disease (see more cases) than oridinary docs.

I wouldn't worry about either your mother or you developing C. diff. right now. (easy to say -- difficult to do) right now. Just practice good hygiene -- the best preventative.

gahgah604
New User

Postby gahgah604 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:03 pm

all I know is... if I were going to the washroom 70 times per day, I would be taking Immodium regardless. WOW and ouch is all I can say to that !

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”