How long does C Diff stay with you after you are "cured

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
layla
Brand New Poster

How long does C Diff stay with you after you are "cured

Postby layla » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:30 am

I was a regular visitor here about two years ago. I used a different username that I can't remember now--I guess I never really wanted to come back. The short version of my story is that I got C Diff after having my son. Battled it for 4 months, with 4 relapses. I then got pregant again (a BIG surprise!) and was then C Diff free and have been ever since. The connection between getting pregnant and being free of C DIff is another post.

I have been fortunate enough to avoid antibiotics until now. I have strep throat and I came on this website to find the list of antibiotics that are safer to take to avoid C Diff.

I have been reading some of the recent posts and information and have a question. Once you have had C Diff, do you always have the bacteria? The Vanco or Flagyl doesn't completely get rid of it? just kills it off enough for the good bacteria to regain control?

I believe I read somewhere on this site that in order to get C Diff the first time you need to be exposed to it and be on antibiotics at the same time. But this isn't the case after you have had it because you already have the bacteria in you?

Hopefully you can understand what I am asking. I know my terminology may not be the most accurate. With a just turned 2 year old and an almost one year old my brain just doesn't work like it used to!

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:04 am

r u sure it is Strep? Make the docs do a culture swab FIRST, before taking AB's...

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:32 pm

Hi Layla. My mother has hac C Diff twice, each time after taking antibiotics. I got it in February while hospitalized and given prophylactic antibiotics. My doc has told me that now that I've had it, I'll have to take vanco (allergic to flagyl) each time I take AB's. My mom has chronic UTI's, and takes flagyl with AB's each time. I know some people on here have been ok w/o taking flagyl/vanco after C Diff, and some have not. I know I'll have to be half dead before ever taking them again, but if I have to, I'll take the vanco again because I don't ever want a repeat of C Diff. I hope everything goes ok for you!

layla
Brand New Poster

Postby layla » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:48 pm

yes, i am sure it is strep. Both the quick test and 24 hour culture came back positive plus my two year old has it!! I haven't started any anitbiotics because I wanted to speak with the ID doc I saw when I had C Diff first. We live ina somewhat rural place and the doctors at the local clinic just don't get it!!

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:46 pm

The reason we have to be very careful about taking antibiotics after we've had cdiff is that cdiff makes spores. The spores are very hardy, and they can remain inside our guts for about forever. Vanco or Flagyl or other AB's don't kill them. (That is why some of us keep having relapses.) The spores stay dormant, or if they should hatch they are outcompeted, until AB's kill off the good bugs in our guts. Then they can hatch with nothing to to fight them off, and give us cdiff again. Does this make sense?

iluvmydogs
Regular User

Postby iluvmydogs » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:17 pm

Nancy, is it possible that the spores can be killed off? Or is that impossible?

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:54 pm

I don't think that the spores inside our guts can be killed off. You might ask a GI doc that question. Here is my best guess, and this is only a guess: some people can "flush" them out after a while. Maybe the more time that goes by after cdiff, the more likely this is. So some folks can take antibiotics after cdiff and they don't get cdiff again. Others can't. Of course, we have no way of knowing which group we might be in. So we want to avoid antibiotics if at all possible.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”