c.diff and ileostomy

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
smitty
Brand New Poster

c.diff and ileostomy

Postby smitty » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:43 pm

has anyone here had to have their colon removed and had an ileostomy because of c.diff

NormaU
New User

ileostomy

Postby NormaU » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:11 pm

Smitty,
I had cdiff in Jan 06 that resulted in a subtotal colectomy. I did not have an ileostomy because my docter decided to connect the ileo to my rectum, an ileo rectal anastomis. I know of one person who had an ileostomy August of 05 and last I knew she had kept the ostomy and another who had a temp ileo for 3 months and then had an ileo rectal anastomsis.

Norma

Connie
Regular Contributor

Re: c.diff and ileostomy

Postby Connie » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:31 pm

Do you have an ostomy question, or are you just wanting to know if c. diff can be severe enough to necessitate a colectomy? My son had a total colectomy and j-pouch procedure, though it was not directly a result of c. diff. Everything started with a bout of c. diff, but a few months later, he developed UC--which after 8 months became resistant to all medical therapy. Because of post-surgical complications, he ended up with a temporary ileoostomy, which he had for 17 months before it was closed.
Thomas's Mom

smitty
Brand New Poster

ileostomy and c.diff

Postby smitty » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:32 pm

i want to know how ofter this happens to people.

Connie
Regular Contributor

Re: ileostomy and c.diff

Postby Connie » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:52 am

As far as I know, it is fairly unusual for someone to require a colectomy solely as a result of having c. diff.
Thomas's Mom

NormaU
New User

Ileostomy

Postby NormaU » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:36 am

Smitty,
From what I have learned it is very rare and usually from a very aggressive form of cdiff. It is not something that happens to most people who are ill with c-diff. Most are cured with one or two treatments of flagyl
or vanco. In my case I had a heart attack then cardiac bypass surgery a few days before c-diff showed up, so I was in a weaked state.

Norma

Mackenzie
Brand New Poster

ileostomy and c-diff

Postby Mackenzie » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:27 am

My daughter has an ileostomy because of a very bad strain of c-diff. She got c-diff, c-diff caused sepsis and she went into septic shock and was in the critical care unit on a ventilator. Had to get a ileostomy that will not be reversed. The doctors say that it is a miracle that she survived. She has had the ileostomy for two and a hlaf years and is doing well. She has Crohn's Disease for 15 years but that was not the cause of c-diff.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”