reinfection and baby's stool

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

reinfection and baby's stool

Postby jenkelly15 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:50 pm

Hey everyone well I have been doing pretty well and it's been 127 days off the vanco. I'm just curious however about getting reinfected like am I still at a higher risk then someone who never had it before or am I okay as long as I don't have any AB's. I'm asking because my 8 month old has been having some stools that come out of his diaper during the night and get all over the place. I have bleached the sheets and even went as far as to throw out the onesies he was wearing, but I am very paranoid I will get c-diff again because I know that some babies have c-diff in their stool. It's so bad that I get so freaked out that my son is covered in c-diff spores because I only wash him with the baby soap and I feel like that won't take it off. I hope I am just being paranoid because it really stinks thinking about this since I kiss him all day long and don't want to worry about getting reinfected. Thanks I can't believe c-diff has left me this way I am so ridiculous now.

marscan
Regular Contributor

Hey there stranger....

Postby marscan » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:42 pm

Awww Jen, Im so sorry your little guy is having night-poo's. Is it just normal kid stuff or do you see (or smell) anything resembling "The Diff"?

My first thought was surgical gloves for you to use when changing/cleaning him. Otherwise, I would assume (assume) that baby baths would clean him up just fine. Since we are all told to wash our hands in soap and water, my guess would be the same applies to his little body. Does he have a waterproof mattress pad? Toss that in the wash too - should be fine (plus you can bleach it).

Sure hope he's doing ok...and you take good care. And yes, this stupid disease has made us ALL ridiculous...lol. Keep me posted k?

Hugs,
Marla
"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac....."

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:50 pm

Thanks Marscan and he DEFINITELY doesn't have c-diff it's just that I heard most babies carry c-diff spores in their stool until 1 or 2 something like that, so I am paranoid I will get it back from his stool. I hope I am just being overly paranoid. I don't use gloves but I wash my hands immediately every time I change him even if it's just wet. Thanks for the advice though it's always very helpful!!!

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:00 pm

Hi Jen. You're not being ridiculous...we are all paranoid about getting it again. It's a horrible thing to go through and I think everyone carries some anxiety about it for a long time. I know I'll always have this fear in the back of my mind. I hope your little guy gets over his tummy upset quickly! Marscan had a great idea about the gloves...I still use them and it's been over 100 days since my last vanco. It might take a while before I relax enough to stop...so, you see...if you feel ridiculous...I should, too. Better to feel ridiculous than have C Diff :-)

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:35 pm

jankelly,
The others gave you good advice, & yes, C. diff. leaves most of us a little paranoid. It diminishes a little with time, but I still take precautions as C. diff. seems to have affected my immune system, but I had it a long time (4 yrs.) the lst time & then had it again two years later with another bout of pneumonia & an antibiotic.

The "throwaway" gloves Marscan recommended are a great idea. Watch the ads in Walgreens/CVS, etc. They often have sales on them. AND you can use them for lots of other stuff. (I double them & use them for gardening.)

Once a "C. differ, always a C. differ." It does make a mark on your soul as well as your mind & body. If only the rest of the world (including docs.) knew about it!!!

marscan
Regular Contributor

Postby marscan » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:10 am

Oh whew Jen, I thought maybe he was showing signs of the beast. And the others are right arent they? This horrible infection leaves scars long after the physical. My husband still laughs at me when I "suit up" to clean both bathrooms. Apparently he forgets the seven-plus months he had to clean them himself..lol.

All my best.
"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac....."

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:24 am

Thanks everyone. Yeah I hope he got rid of most of the c-diff from getting older since he is 8 months. Also, I give him yo baby yogurt everyday, which has a ton of probotics in it. Yeah I understand Marscan my hubby things I am crazy when I have to wash all the sheets and stuff with bleach. He is like Jen I'm sure it's fine you are just over reacting easy for him to say he didn't have to be miserable for 4 months and petrified of getting it back again. Yeah I agree Roy I just can't look at Connor like he is covered in c-diff spores or it will drive me crazy. Either way one good thing it doesn't stop me from pouring on the affection no matter what. I should just be happy it's been so long off the vanco and just make sure to wash my hands well and hopefully I'll be c-diff free for a long time.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:18 pm

jankelly,
You had C. diff. only 4 months? Count yourself lucky. Many on this site have/had the infection much longer. You've been off the Vanco. for long enough to feel "home free."

Infants often have summer diarrhea. An old wives' tale used to say it is due to teething. Think most docs. still "nix" that, but many mothers agree. Many "old wives' tales" are true. Call your ped. if you are concerned & have Connor checked.

It will take awhile to get over this altho. you will probably always have some residual fear. You are young (& I believe otherwise healthy -- many on this site are not). Youth is a big "plus" factor.

Best wishes to you & Connor. Don't let C. diff. ruin your enjoyment of your child. Take precautions to make yourself feel better, but don't let a short bout with C. diff. rule your life.

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:37 pm

Thanks so much Bobbie and Roy. I hope I am c-diff free for life and never get it again. Yes I only had c-diff for 4 months it felt like forever though LOL! The flagyl didn't work for me twice but tapering the vanco seemed to so far as I am 128 days off of it. Yeah I am only 28 and prior to c-diff never had anything worse then the common cold that's why I think it was so diffcult for me and plus I had just had major surgery with the c-section, which was very scary for me as well. Thanks again to you all!!!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”