Patrick's Case History - Cost of Vanco

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
ohleary
New User

Patrick's Case History

Postby ohleary » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:16 pm

Just found out I had a relapse, stool samples came up positive for c.diff, I guess other things looked bad enough for my gastro to prescribe me vancomycin, 250mg, 2 pills (500mg) 4 times daily (2g/day). This seems like a high dose?? Also taking Florastor, and actually thinking its helping. Apparently it prohibits the c.diff toxins from wreaking havoc in your intestines. Oh my gosh, I went to get the prescription, they had to special order it. My 80 pills, before insurance, was $2,375!!!! Is that normal??? My insurance accepted it, and amazingly only have a co-pay of $25!!

Anyone heard of such a thing??

Patrick

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:44 pm

Yes, vanco is hugely expensive. Thank goodness for good insurance.

Docs prescribe a range of vanco doses. I mostly took 250 mg 3x or 4x daily, but I know others who have taken more, sometimes when a lower dose wasn't controlling the D.

Jenny
Regular Contributor

Postby Jenny » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:48 am

Hi Patrick,

I was on the same dose for a month, after a few other treatments that didn't work. I am now on day 45 post vanco and a rifaximin chaser for 2 weeks. Good insurance really helps. My insurance paid @ $12,000 for all my vanco I think. I had a $40 co-pay. I am doing well. Hope this works for you.

Good Luck, Take Care

Jenny

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”