abdonminal cramping/pain question?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
gent76
New User

abdonminal cramping/pain question?

Postby gent76 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:24 pm

I have tested negative for C-Diff on my last stool test. That being said, I still have what I consider gas and very mild abdominal pain/cramps. Is this common with others, even after the bacteria has been cleared? The cramping has gotten no worse or better for the last week, and it comes and goes.

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:05 pm

sounds like somewhat new normal! ibs they calli t it :((((((((

gent76
New User

Postby gent76 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:40 pm

I figured IBS would come with "D"? Or is that not always the case?

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:31 pm

no you can have the D or be constipated or just have the rumbling gas and cramps. Sounds like you beat the beast and have ibs issues now. Mine have gotten better over time but it has taken two years to get where I am now.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:03 pm

I have IBS, but no cramping and no D. I have the rumbling noises and spasms, though. This is different from my pre C Diff IBS...where I would have D and severe cramping. Go figure. Maybe it' the probiotics that have made it different.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:49 pm

I don't think I had IBS after cdiff, but certainly had pain and gas issues. Gas-X helped me a lot.

gent76
New User

Postby gent76 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:31 pm

How long did the pains last...days, weeks, months? I see one poster mentioning it taking a couple years before things settled down.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:05 pm

Hi Gent. It's hard to say and no one can tell you; even your doc, I'm sure. It's very individual. I've read where some people don't get it, or have it a short while, and others longer. My infectious disease doc told me he'd seen it last for months and sometimes years (and he said this in a very cheerful tone of voice)...? Try not to let it worry you. I posted before how I thought I still had the Diff b/c of this. If you're able to eat, not rushing to the potty, and dealing with these off and on pains that hopefully aren't causing you a lot of physical anguish...I'd say try to just put it out of your mind, if possible. Hopefully things are looking up for you with the negative test so long after being off the AB's. I tested numerous times at different points long after I was off the vanco, just for peace of mind. I understand it's a valid concern for you, but try not to let the fear of C Diff wear you down (I did let it wear me down and I paid for it...just prolonged my misery by worrying I still had it). There is medication for IBS. If you feel you need it, ask your doc about it. I hope things settle down for you soon! I remember the cramping, so I know it hurts :( Karen

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:40 am

We all are different it comes and goes long time some time with me more short! Also if and when my st5omach gets empty and i am hungry all hell breaks loose with the gas rarely never cramps for me but on the other hand gas and bloating has been more of a constant issue with me but it all just takes timmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmme! All the symptoms will eventualy reduce in frequency and intensity if you can hopefully stay away of AB's and try and ingest only goooood stuff hot tea green tea plenty of banaasa I do the dan active drinlk and yogurt only ONE a day rotating and i take a refreig super acicdophilus probiotic before every meal usualll y only one but sometimes two meals day!

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:42 am

I had gas and pain for about 6 months after recovering from cdiff.

gent76
New User

Postby gent76 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:44 pm

I had a colonoscopy done this afternoon. Not as bas as I thought regarding the procedure...that prep is the worst part!

I did not get much info as I was very grogy coming out, but a couple nursed mentioned it went well. I hope that means they found little to nothing terrible. I have to set up a time to speak with the Dr regarding the results.

gent76
New User

Postby gent76 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:07 pm

Dr said my colonoscopy went well and looked normal. They did take biopsies of the colon to see if their was microscopic colitis. I will hear more on that in a day or two.

Maybe I am just having the after effects of C-Diff and will hopefully get better in time...

gent76
New User

Postby gent76 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:38 am

Shortly after labor day I've had a flare up in gas/abdominal cramping in the lower abdomen. For a few weeks after my colonoscopy I had no symptoms and was eating what I considered a normal diet pre-Cdiff. My current round includes no "D", just gas and the lower abdominal cramping/dull discomfort. Can flare ups like this happen and is this IBS related?

This all seemed to trigger after I noticed an elongated hard lump in my lower left abdomen, which I would characterize as tendon shaped and hard to the touch - with no pain. It runs from the inside of left pelvic area down towards where my bladder would sit. Maybe that freaked me out and caused some stress, and a chain reaction. Anyone have anything similar?

I had a Lower CT scan last December that was clean, except for the inflamed Cecum/large intestine. Colonoscopy this past July was also clean.

carrie
Regular Contributor

Postby carrie » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:47 pm

Hey gent,
I'm not sure how large the the lump is but the last time I was in to see my gastro he took my hand and said I'm going to have you examine your abdomen so you know what I'm feeling as I was still very anxious because of unusual symptoms. He proceeded to take my hand and press quite firmly to the right of my left hip on the left side of my body of course- he said can you feel that, something like a hard rope running down - Yes I could what is that, he said that is my colon and that is how after a scope and nothing showing up that he knows I have IBS. According to him it is fairly typical for a person with IBS to have a very tight colon, causing this rope like hard lump. A few weeks later I went to my physician and I told him what the gastro had done and he said oh and did it feel like a hard rope............I'm like so you guys know what your looking for could someone not have shared that with me much earlier. So now every once in a while when I've started feeling really good I check to see if my colon is any more relaxed but no go, maybe next time. I took my last Vanco 9 and a half months ago and I'm still battling IBS. It is getting better and my good days are really good(was on the golf course four hours this monrning) but having a physician explain to me and further show me has helped me make sence of it all and has put me a greater ease. I hope this is what you are feeling and asking your physician if it is what I experienced maybe put your mind at ease. All the best!

gent76
New User

Postby gent76 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:56 am

Carrie,

That is a good explanation of what I'm feeling, the "hard rope" running downward. I would consider it rope shaped, and maybe 2 inches in length that I can feel. I definately have to press in hard to feel it.

Usually during the day when I am active my gas/abdominal cramping lis little to unnoticeable. But when I wake up in the AM, it is at its peak for discomfort.

I have an appt with my GP in the next couple weeks, I will verify with him. Carrier, What symptoms do your experience with your IBS?

Thanks,

Gent

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”