C-Diff in my bladder?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Barb98391
Brand New Poster

C-Diff in my bladder?

Postby Barb98391 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:12 pm

Just a quick background, since I'm new here. I'm a 61 year old woman. I was in the hospital in January for a knee replacement. In April I had what we thought was a flare up of colitis that had been in remission for a few years. They put me back on Pentasa, but I didnt improve. Finally in June they did a stool panel of tests and I tested positive for C-Diff. No wonder I've felt so awful for so long! geeez! I took metronidazole for 10 days and about 4-5 days after I finished that the symptoms came back. A test 3 days ago was still positive for C-Diff. I could have told them that without the test! Ya know? Anyway, 3 days ago I started feeling like I am getting another bladder infection. I've had three since my surgery - and took a lot of antibiotics for them, and figure that was the reason I got the C-Diff. What I'm wondering is, can I get C-Diff in my bladder? When I went back on the metronidazole the bladder symptoms lessened, so I thought: A Ha! But they are not gone, and maybe a bit worse today. Anyone have any info or experience with this? I appreciate your input. Thx.
Barb
Bonney Lake, Washington

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:04 pm

Barb,
Welcome to the group that no one wants to join. Be sure to read All Users Read This First, Dr. Borody's article, Dr. McDonald's article (in the FAQ section under Articles by Experts), and all areas in FAQ that interest you.

I don't believe you can get cdiff in your bladder. What antibiotics did you take for your bladder infection? Macrobid is supposed to be relatively safe, by which I mean that it generally won't cause cdiff. And there are various cranberry ideas. Since I haven't had a UTI since getting cdiff I don't remember these; see the FAQ section under UTIs. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

fire7163
Long Time Contributor

Postby fire7163 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:33 pm

Barb:

I ran your question by the Doc's when we were in the ER with a
patient. They both agreed that it would be very unlikey that you can get C-diff in your bladder. They both thought that it couldn't survive in that part of the body.

Hope that helps

Fire

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:08 am

Sometimes a yeast infection can make you feel as though you are having a UTI when you are older (as I am). Sometimes no infection (bacteria) can be detected and at times treating for yeast takes symptoms away. Also hormone creams can help in some instances when yeast is ruled out and bacteria is not present. Best to get tested. Good luck!
Cindy

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”