My Poor Mom

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Daisydogmom
New User

My Poor Mom

Postby Daisydogmom » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:29 pm

*Please feel free to move this if I don't have it in the correct section. How is it possible that my poor mom has C. Diff again? This is the 5-6th time she has had it over the years, the last being exactly a year ago. Can it come back out of "nowhere" a year later? However, I think she was on antibiotics about three months ago. She has lost so much weight & also has some type of enzyme issues as well since C. Diff. She won't take probiotics, because her doctors doubt that it will help her. She also refuses to go to any hospital for help because she's afraid to get any more germs (I can't blame her.) She is all skin and bones and I'm so worried that she is going to lose this battle... :( She had brain aneurysm surgery 4 years ago & says that C. Diff is WAY worse.

In addition, is it possible my 3-year-old gave it back to her? I only took him over to see her after he had no more D. & had been on Flagyl for several days. I think we just visited her outside on the porch because I was so afraid he would give it to her. I would just feel TERRIBLE if she got it from him!

On the flip side, could my son catch it back from her this fast? My mom is very good at bleaching EVERYTHING in sight & hand washing. I noticed that he still has mucous, but no D (It's been almost 6 wks. since finishing his meds.). His pediatrician & GI said to wait another month to see if it's just residual "stuff". Does that sound right to you?

Sorry for the long rant... Thanks for reading this.

Jenny
Regular Contributor

Postby Jenny » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:08 pm

Hi Daisydogmom,

I'm so sorry your mom has this again. I do not believe that your 3yr old has given c diff to your mom, especially if she is as cautious as you say re hand washing etc. It's just an unfortunate coincidence, and there may have been spores lying dormant waiting for an opportunity. The antibiotics may be a trigger it's possible even after 3 months if she is still poorly and her immune system has not recovered. Speak to a Dr about the possibilty of probiotics or just adding some yoghurt which I can't imagine would do any harm unless she's intolerant.

Mucous can take some time to work its way out of the system and if your son eats alot of banana that may be a source of it too. SO glad he's feeling better, hope your mom gets better soon too.

Take Care

Jenny

Daisydogmom
New User

Postby Daisydogmom » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:43 am

Thanks so much for your reply, Jenny. I'll have to ask my mom if she could at least try to have some yogurt. I think you are probably right about her immune system being all out of whack. Thanks again!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”