Conflicting info

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
worried317
New User

Conflicting info

Postby worried317 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:45 pm

When I researched C Diff online I found (and even on this site) that it could be fatal if left untreated. Then I read many post of people who had it for months and even a year before they were even diagnosed. Some people also post that antibiotics aren't always given if it is a mild case and the symptoms are manageable. Can someone clarify this for me?

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:53 am

My understanding is that most fatalities due to cdiff happen fairly soon after getting it. As Cindy says, if cdiff had meant to kill us, it would have done so already. There seems to be a range of severity, and that is why some folks can have it for a while, and survive, before being diagnosed. I was misdiagnosed for a month, and ended up with pseudomembranous colitis; maybe if I had been diagnosed sooner, I wouldn't have gotten so sick.

Apparently some mild cases can clear up without needing Flagyl or vanco, if you stop taking the antibiotic that caused cdiff in the first place.

worried317
New User

Postby worried317 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:04 pm

so you are saying people die from a stronger strain and a more serious case? Mine is so mild. I don;t even go D everyday. But I know something isn't right because of the mucus when I do go. I have no insurance and don't know what else to do. I have had this problem for 3 weeks now. It is not getting worse or better. Is it going to just stay mild? I am sick with worry about my kids getting it. Please help

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:22 pm

Hi. Have you been diagnosed with it; have you been tested for it?

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:25 pm

No one can tell you if your problem will stay mild, or get better or worse. If you have not yet been tested, I would do that first. It is not easy to give cdiff to family members, especially if you and they wash your hands lots. My main concern for your kids would be if they have to take any antibiotics.

worried317
New User

Postby worried317 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:42 pm

Thank you for your help. I haven't been tested yet because I have no insurance but I know what it is. I actually had a hard time going before and now it is yellow and mucus stuff(sorry) I don't know what else it could be and I am around c diff alot so I figured this is it. I am sorry to be such a pain in the butt (no punt intended) but I am just having a hard time right now and have noone to talk to

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:40 am

It could be a number of things but yes when you have some tests done do check for cdiff also.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:49 pm

worried,
Check in the FAQ section for lots of info about hygiene. Bleaching in your bathroom and kitchen is a good idea. Make a solution of 9 water to 1 bleach. I used paper towels in both places, but washed all towels and washcloths in hot water and bleach. We only have one bathroom, and when I was misdiagnosed my doc said it wasn't a bacterial infection since it hadn't responded to Cipro or levaquin (haha), so I wasn't too careful about hygiene. Even so my husband didn't get cdiff.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”