C-diff and Colon Cancer

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

C-diff and Colon Cancer

Postby jenkelly15 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:31 pm

Can c-diff cause colon cancer? I don't think it can, but I have still been having some symptoms just mainly stomach noises and gas. Besides that I have been pretty much fine. I have been off the vanco for 108 days now, and I am suprised I am still having the gas and so much movement in my stomach. I looked up colon cancer symptoms and totally freaked myself out. I am only 28, so I think it is very rare to even get colon cancer at my age, but am afraid what if the c-diff caused it is that even possible?

gent76
New User

Postby gent76 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:53 pm

I am unaware of any link between C-Diff and Colon Cancer, but am new to this disease as a whole. That being said, gas and stomach noises are symptoms of about 1 million conditions! To assume or think you may have colon cancer on what you described is a bit presumptious.

From what I've been reading on these forums, individuals say it can take months and even years for your digestive system to fully "heal". But if you are really worried, talk to your Dr.

I myself was worried I had colon cancer up until they diagnosed me with C-Diff after a stool sample.

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:50 pm

I wouldnt worry about. Lots of people on here talk about still having problems after cdiff. I am one of them three years later. It just gives most of us a new pattern. Try gas x, it really works. And watch what you eat.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:51 pm

In over 8 yrs. of moderating this site, I've seen only a few incidences of C. diff. linked to other GI problems. There have been a few with IBD & Crohns -- none that I can remember with cancer. I am not a medical authority, however. Check with your doc. & read the info. on C. diff. on the site.

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:08 pm

Yeah I know and I really don't think I have it. I am just really paranoid and I should never have looked up the symptoms for colon cancer. That was my big mistake because it just makes me worry way too much. Thanks for your help though probably just not 100% yet but close anyway.

HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:02 pm

I think this question has been asked before. I am not a medical expert but, with all the Cdiff articles that I read almost on a daily bases, I have never read or heard anything that links Cdiff with colon cancer (or any cancer for that fact).

Again I am not a medical expert but, I think that the answer is no. If you are worried taked to you Dr.
Heather

Cdiff free 7yrs! Cdiff left me with IBS but, I am dealing with it!!
"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is god's business." Michael J. Fox

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:32 pm

Yeah I know you guys are not medical experts, but I figured you all were pretty up on your c-diff knowledge. My ID doctor actually told me that c-diff doesn't cause anything when I asked him if I would get IBS or anything like that. I know many people however do get that, but he told me c-diff shouldn't really cause anything. I was just making sure no one had ever heard of anything like that I figured no. I am just making myself crazy like I often do ever since the c-diff with worry any time I have any stomach pain. Before c-diff I wouldn't even have thought of colon cancer but now I am too paranoid and look at the internet WAY too much. Again everyone thank you so much.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:33 pm

Hey Jenkelly15. I feel you...I've spent too much time and energy worrying about C Diff. I'm feeling much better, but unlike you, I still can't eat anything I want. It's been over 4 months now and I'm still recovering. Maybe it's just that you are eating what you want and your tummy is still adjusting. I'm glad you can...I just thought that might be an explanation for the tummy noises, etc. Mine's pretty quiet now, but I can't eat at Wendy's just yet :-) You're gonna be fine, love! It was good to see a post from you. Congrats on your 108 days!!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:34 am

Afraid the fear of C. diff. occuring again is very common with most C. diff. sufferers, especially those who had a long siege. At the mention of the word "antibiotic," I still shudder.

Try to keep busy & take some precautions.

I travel occasionally & always drink bottled water if I am in a different city. (If I am there awhile, I gradually add in & then change to the local water.) I don't have ice in drinks on airplanes, & I never take the mints in the restaurant at the counter on my way out of a restaurant. (Read a story about people who come out of restrooms, don't wash their hands, & grab a couple of mints.") I wash my hands when necesary (but not incessantly). My mother has been in an assisted living home for 6 yrs., & I am there almost every day. I haven't "picked up" anything there yet. I wear a small "personal air purifier" when I fly on a crowded plane or am in a crowded movie theater & people around me are coughing. Don't know if it helps, but it gives me some peace of mind.

I've had pneumonia 5X since having C. diff. & had various other infections so I've earned the right to be a little paranoid altho. I still go everywhere & do everything - within reason.

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:45 am

Thanks for your kind words klt03301. I hope you are able to eat whatever you want soon too. Bobbie I don't blame you I would be the same way. You are better then me because I wash my hands way too much maybe eventually it will get a little less and more normal. Thanks again to everyone. I'm so happy this web site is back.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:59 am

jankelly,

I eat whatever I want. Sometimes it bothers me; sometimes it doesn't. I've known about C. diff. since l979 when my son had it the lst time & only lately as it become more publicized.

After years of living with C. diff. (both with my son, my 4-yr. bout many yrs. later, & then having it again 2 yrs. later) I've learned to take the precauations you can but still live as well possible & have a good time. You will, too. Still would prefer not to have experienced it, however. Good hygiene & trying to avoid antibiotics (if possible) are the most important factors. Also keeping busy & not dwelling on your illness.

falco22
Contributor

stomoisesach n

Postby falco22 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:01 pm

OMg I have the stomach noises all the time . especially at night and early morning. They are very annoying and scare me i had c diff in feb and it took 2 rounds of antibiotics and Florasotr. Here we are in August Still have the noises.
PS I had acolonoscopy everything is Ok. You wll be ok it just takes a long time. Quit reading symptoms on the internet YOU WLL MAKE YOURSELF NUTS. i still have occasionaly D and get scared.

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:17 pm

Yeah seriously to late for that I already have made myself crazy reading too much stuff on the internet. It's a good thing and a bad thing for people who are paranoid like me. Either way I'm hoping I'm fine and am getting the colonoscopy on September 4th, so then I could have some relief either way. I really don't have any problems except sometimes I still feel like I have to go to the bathroom when I am done. Has anyone else felt like this after having c-diff? Oh yeah and it's been 150 days off the vanco Wednesday, so that is very exciting for me.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:45 pm

Hi Jen. I continue to feel like I have to go to the bathroom after I'm done and this may stay with me forever. It comes and goes...not every time. Prior to C Diff, I had IBS and felt the same thing. I'm wishing you the very best regarding your colonscopy and am eager to hear how it went. Hopefully, you'll be telling us good news!

Best wishes...Karen

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:19 pm

Yeah the doctor said I might have IBS, but she just wants to make sure it's nothing more serious. Thanks so much for your thoughts.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”