Laundry Question!

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Zoe
New User

Laundry Question!

Postby Zoe » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:27 pm

Hi everyone! Hey I was wondering, does anyone know if normal machine washing kills spores, or should I be washing my "roo's" separately from the rest of my family's clothes with bleach?? I hadn't thought about it till just now when I was getting ready to put a load in. This is all so frustrating!!!!!!! AND another thing, my daughter and I wear the same size clothes so we often do share pants and shirts. Am I exposing her to c-diff even if I have washed the clothes? Thanks for any help.
Zoe :)

Zoe
New User

Postby Zoe » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:09 pm

Thanks Roy! I appreciate how fast you always respond. I will start doing my laundry separate from my family's--with bleach.

HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:12 pm

I agree I made sure that I washed my clothes separate from my fiances.
As for your familys clothes I would wash with a bleach detergent, just to be on the safe side.
Heather

Cdiff free 7yrs! Cdiff left me with IBS but, I am dealing with it!!
"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is god's business." Michael J. Fox

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:39 pm

Here's my "un-medical opinon." When my son first had C. diff. in l979 (& again 6 yrs. later), little was known about hygine re. it. but I've always been a "cleaner." Kept the bathroom clean but didn't restrict it to his use only & none of the rest of the family got C. diff. altho. I must have been "at risk."

When I had C. diff., I washed my clothes separately from the rest of the family's. I soaked "under "things" in warm water & then washed all my wash separately. After washing my clothes, I ran a load through the washer with just bleach & hot water & then washed everyone else's clothes. I sprayed the drier with Lysol -- not much good -- as I discovered later. My son, who was at risk for C. diff., didn't develop it when I had it C. diff. either time altho. he lived at home some of the time.

Bottom line: No one really knows. You might ask your doc. Do what makes you feel the most secure.

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:43 pm

Now, I'm nervous I never did any of that. I just made sure to use liquid detergent with color safe bleach. Do you guys think my washing machine is like covered with c-diff spores? I hope not it's been 92 days off the vanco and I would hate to get reinfected because of my washing machine. When does the worry end with this disease!!!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:57 pm

jenkelly,
If you are concerned, run a load of just hot water with bleach. Then use a bleach solution (l part bleach; 9 parts water) to wipe out the inside of your drier. It's probably not necessary, but do it if it makes you feel better.

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:59 pm

Yeah I think I'll give that a try Bobbie just to make sure. I would hate to get c-diff again because of something so small like this. Do you think the clothes are okay though?

diane
Long Time Contributor

Postby diane » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:27 am

Just to let you know your not alone.. I had c diff for 3 years and I did my laundry with my familys. I did not wash any different then when I was not sick. The only thing I did do is if I soiled my under garments it went in the garbage. That I was not risking but other wise I washed normally. So I guess it depends. Don't be worried if your in the 92 days, I would not worry about the wash now.. lol

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”