Has Questran helped anyone?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
junbug1029
New User

Has Questran helped anyone?

Postby junbug1029 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:17 pm

I've had C diff for 6 months, diagnosed 3 mo ago, and just finished my second round of Metronidazole yesterday for a recurrance, this time for 14 days. Today I started Questran, which I'm supposed to take 2-4 gm 2-4 times per day for 2 weeks. I'm still having at least 4 bouts of diarrhea every day, and can't tolerate my beloved salads, fuits and veggies.
I'm wondering if anyone has had any relief from the Questran? I've also been taking all of the recommended probiotics and prebiotics with yogurt since I was first diagnosed.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:26 am

Although Questran has a low "cure" rate, it (by itself) helped my son get through his 2nd bout with C. diff. when he was about 10 yrs. old.

Be sure & space it as far apart from the Flagyl (& other meds.) & your probiotics as possible or it will bind the other meds. (& the probiotics) & make them less effective.

junbug1029
New User

Postby junbug1029 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:35 am

Thanks....I'll keep my fingers crossed!

paulah
Regular Contributor

Postby paulah » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:26 am

I took prevelite, which is questran, 4x/day along with probiotics after still testing positive after 14 days of flagyl and rifampin. The questran binds the cdiff toxins, this eliminates the damage done to the intestines while your good gut bacteria repopulates. There is no definite answer if it also binds the spores and eliminates them. I still had 3 bm's a day for a week, then it cut down to 2/day and I could tell I was over the cdiff, although it left me with a bad case of IBS. I stayed on the prevelite 3 weeks and had no relapse. The culturelle I took was also a big help.
BTW, I still can't eat salads and raw veggies with a gut upset so I stay away from them.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”