cdiff and now all of a sudden heartburn too?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
duhfur
New User

cdiff and now all of a sudden heartburn too?

Postby duhfur » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:26 pm

Wow, i'm so glad I found this website. My symptoms have been changing and it has me confused. So let me list my story and tell me what you think.

Feb - prescibed antbiotics for bronchitis
March - prescribed 2 rounds of antibiotics for ear infections
April - fatigue, abdominal pain, diarrhea, nauseus, vomitting only in the morning. Dr said kidney infection or gallbladder. Went through all tests, when he didnt find anything, told me to take prilosec and see a gastro.
May week 1 - finally saw gastro, abdominal pain was gone but still has other problems, she did stool sample
May week 2 - stool sample said cdiff started flagyl and align
May week 3 - colonoscopy and upper gi - said mild colitis and to stay on flagyl, might take a few rounds.
May week 4 - feeling better, just tired at times
June week 1 - nausea came back 3 days after fininsh flagyl - she prescribed more
June week 2 - abdominal pain came back - she prescribed bentyl

Now: 3 days ago I felt as bad as ever. I dont understand, i'm still taking flagyl (3xday and align. Now I have heartburn at times, gas and chest pain. Dr said to take prilosec again.

I just dont get why I'm feeling bad again while Im on the drugs. I dont know how you guys cope with this.

fire7163
Long Time Contributor

Postby fire7163 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:13 pm

To be bluntly honest C-diff and the drugs to kill it absolutely raise hell with your Gi System. Heartburn is a very common side effect as is bloating, cramping and copious gas. It's pretty much a common fact that between the C-dif, the drugs and probiotics, something, or a combination of them will upset your stomach. If it gets miserable, and the Prilosec and something like Gas-X don't help, I'd be calling the Doctor asap.

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:35 pm

Mention Vanco to the doctor if Flagyl is now making you feel worse. Flagyl does weird things to your body and mind.

duhfur
New User

Postby duhfur » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:59 pm

wow, quick replies

the D stopped as soon as i started the flagyl.

the fatigue, abdominal pain at times and heartburn is what's bother me the most right now.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:03 pm

duhfur,
Welcome to the group that no one wants to join. Be sure to read All Users Read This First, Dr. Borody's article, Dr. McDonald's article (in the FAQ section under Articles by Experts), and all areas in FAQ that interest you.

You've gotten lots of good advice. I felt much better on vanco than I did on Flagyl, so as nsewell says, you might ask your doc about that instead. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:43 am

I had heartburn the whole time I was on Flagyl, it was awful!! When I got done taking it started to go away but, it took its time doing so (about 3 or 4 days).

I agree with Nsewell Flagyl does do strange things to both your body and mind. Flagyl made me feel 10x's worse, so if it is making you feel more worse then better? It is just not worth it, I would call the Dr and ask about Vanco.

Just my opinion.
Heather

Cdiff free 7yrs! Cdiff left me with IBS but, I am dealing with it!!
"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is god's business." Michael J. Fox

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:13 pm

You might try Gas-X, but check with your doc. first.

See FAQ-Digestive Complaints.

I have heartburn (acid reflux/hiatal hernia) but developed it years after I had C. diff. Have no idea if the two are related. Sometimes I think C. diff. "raises havoc" with your entire GI tract.

whitepine
Regular Contributor

Postby whitepine » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:54 am

Fire is exactly right! Flagyl can be hard on the GI and cause heartburn and nausea! All these meds can even vancomycin. Take your meds with food and dip the flagyl in olive oil to kill that nasty taste! I always have heartburn, and esophageal spasms too, thanks to c.diff. :(

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:31 am

FLAGYL SHOULD BE TAKEN OFF THE MARKET IN MY OPINION!!! It almost killed me!
Cindy

gent76
New User

Postby gent76 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:04 pm

Duhfur,

I also have what I consider somewhat chronic heartburn symptoms as of late. I was diagnosed with C-Diff in May, and have had heartburn along with C-Diff symptoms for the last couple months.

I have been taking prilosec 20mg, but that hasn't been effective lately.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:30 am

gent76,
There is some thought that PPI's contribute to C. diff. (See Media Reports.) However, I've been on one for years. I was not on a PPI the 2 times I had C. diff. The last time I had pneumonia & was forced to take an antibiotic (Z-pak), I was on a PPI & didn't develop C. diff. Go figure.

You might try a different PPI. Altho. they are all in the same family, some have good luck with one PPI & not another. I tried 2 before Aciphex without much relief. Contact your doc. and/or pharmacist for more info.

I have a hiatal hernia which contributes to the problem. I do not watch my diet like I should but I do many of the other things suggested to reduce acid reflux including propping up the head of my bed. Just got back from a trip -- stayed in a motel & had room service bring extra pillows. See FAQ-Acid Reflux.

JenRenee5
New User

Postby JenRenee5 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:22 am

I agree about the flagyl it was absolutely horrible for me. It made me feel 100% worse than before. I had worse stomach pains, was so dizzy that I could not drive anywhere, I was running into things and very clumsy. I told my doctor of this and she just said "no it shouldn't do that". Very frustrating.

maryinflorida
Regular Contributor

Postby maryinflorida » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:59 pm

Flagyl is probably to blame for many of the terrible symptoms we complain about while battling CDiff. The last time I was on it while at the hospital I truly thought I was dying, but as soon as they switched me to a different antibiotic all the misery went away and I was able to recover from the surgery. I will take Vanco (or ANY other antibiotic) over Flagyl.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”