Diagnosed Today

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
LaurenS
Brand New Poster

Diagnosed Today

Postby LaurenS » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:54 pm

Hi, 3 months ago I went to Brazil (traveled through Amazon as well as Rio). After a few days in the Amazon I had a lot of problems with my stomach. When I returned to the US I took 3 days of Cipro, got better, then when the stomach pains returned I took 10 days of levaquin and 3 days of Flagyl (only 3 days bc my doctor received my blood test and felt that I didn't have a parasite).

My stomach problems continued (pain in upper abdomimen, unlimited gas, upset stomach) and I went to a GI, did two stool samples and an endoscopy... all of which turned up normal. The GI put me on Nexium to help with the gas. I have been on Nexium now for 3 weeks and feel better, although still having the tightness in my stomach.

I decided to have my stool tested one more time this week at a specific travel doctor to make sure that I didn't have a parasite and I just turned up having C diff.

I'm curious to understand if I got this from the 10 days of levaquin (keep in mind that would be 2 falsely read stool samples between the levaquin and now), or the 3 weeks of Nexium, or something I could have picked up in Brazil. I am 26 and in good health (prior to all my stomach problems).

Is C Diff typically hard to diagnosis that two doctors could have missed it in 2 different stool samples?

Do I continue to take the Nexium? It seemed to be helping whatever my problem was/is/

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:40 pm

Welcome to the group that no one wants to join. Be sure to read All Users Read This First, Dr. Borody's article, Dr. McDonald's article (in the FAQ section under Articles by Experts), and all areas in FAQ that interest you.

I got cdiff after taking one Cipro pill and 4 levaquin pills. My doc thought it was not possible to get it after taking such a small amount of antibiotics. Ha. There are many false negative test results for cdiff. You should wait 10 - 14 days after taking antibiotics before being tested. I only tested positive once in my 8 months of cdiff.

Is Nexium a PPI? If so, these can contribute to cdiff, because they lower the stomach acidity. Some of us need them anyhow. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

abby
New User

Postby abby » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:55 pm

Nexium is a PPI. My GI said it was better to take an OTC for acid reflux if a person only has it occasionally. So I've stopped taking Nexium (which I was taking at the time I picked up c diff and which the GI says could have killed enough stomach acid to let the c diff get through and infect me) and now I take an OTC Prilosec or something like that maybe once a week.

Of course, your own GI may have his/her opinion about Nexium and should be consulted. It was prescribed, after all.

abby

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”