Hey guys! Just wondering....

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Jodie
Regular Contributor

Hey guys! Just wondering....

Postby Jodie » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:18 pm

Has anyone taken amoxicillan after being diagnosed with c-diff ? And if so, how did it go?

Thanks,

Jodie

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:42 pm

Amoxicillan is one of the big offenders in causing cdiff. I wouldn't take it unless it were life or death. Are you being told to take it? If so, why? I would ask about other alternatives if that's the case.

ClDif
Regular Contributor

Postby ClDif » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:37 am

Hi Jodie,

have just been recommended to take Augmentin, too (which is amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium) after dental surgery and it looks like an infection is developing. "We have never seen the development of c diff after prescribing this," the dental surgeon said. "It is very broad and works wonders!" he was all excited... My reply was "And I am sure I am your first patient to have recently overcome recurrent c. diff colitis - so how can you be sure to know how to treat this?" No way am I trying this! Am observing and going for IV vanco or metronidazole if I have to... Thank God my GP would prescribe those if necessary. Would that be an option for you? Am also getting immunoglobulin injections (intramuscular) to see if that helps keep the infection at bay.

marscan
Regular Contributor

Postby marscan » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:28 am

Hi Jodie...I was actually prescribed Amox. "during" C Diff (I hadnt yet been diagnosed). That was, however after a round of clindamycin (sp?), but there is no way Id ever take either again. There is a list on the site in FAQ that gives a list of antibiotics listed by the likelihood to contribute to C Diff - I take it with me everywhere I go. Also, my dentist still has no idea that his Rx "gave" me C Diff, so your dentist may simply not know any of his patients contracted it from his meds - Id call my doc for suggestions. Good luck to you.
"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac....."

mommy2maddi
Regular User

Postby mommy2maddi » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:29 am

Hi Jodie,

I would run from Amoxicillin! That is what gave me the CDIFF! I took it twice once as regular Amoxicillin and then in its more potent form as Augmentin within a month and low and behold had CDIFF right after finishing the second dose! I HIGHLY recommend not taking it!

Nicole

Mommy to Maddi 1/3/06
Jack due 7/4/08

Jodie
Regular Contributor

Postby Jodie » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:34 pm

I looked on the faqs and a couple of sentences down someone says penicillan is o.k.? Has anyone seen that?

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:09 pm

Jodie,
Plain old penicillin (one form is PenVK) is less broad in spectrum, but can still cause C. diff.; however a lesser chance. It is often still effective against strep & some infections of the mouth. Call your doc. and/or pharmacist for more info.

whitepine
Regular Contributor

Postby whitepine » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:56 am

I would not take Amoxicillin or any broad spectrum antibiotic unless I was certain to die without it!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”