Question for Mods/Administrators

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
marscan
Regular Contributor

Question for Mods/Administrators

Postby marscan » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:01 am

Hi all, just a thought about something I noticed since joining the site. Have you found that C Diff tends to be on an uptick during certain times of the year? Personally, Ive noticed huge increase in activity on the site during the Fall (allergy/sinus season etc). Was just wondering, as that is also the time of year most of us go for the sinus infection/flu meds. Just curious if you've ever tracked it by season....

Thanks as always for your hard work maintaining the site.

Marla
"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac....."

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:46 am

marscan,
Thx. for the thanks. We always appreciate it.

Yes, I've noticed the same thing, but we haven't tracked it. In the summer, we don't as many posters as in the fall & winter when there are more resp. infections "out there" & docs. prescribe more antibiotics -- often at their patients' insistence. I remember when I thought antibiotics were "the cure" -- no more -- although they are sometimes necessary.

Allison
Administrator

Postby Allison » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:20 pm

Hi Marla,

Actually I have tracked it observationally, and there is a definite uptrend in new memberships during late winter and it continues through spring. It's been that way for eight years with little variation. That's just for new memberships, not overall site activity.

Dr. Mc. (CDC doc) told us once that cdiff is more prevelant in mid spring for the U.S. Right now we are experiencing another thing that happens every year....the summer slump. A good thing! (though it doesn't last long enough) :)

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”