recently diagnosed

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
rice28543
Brand New Poster

recently diagnosed

Postby rice28543 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:17 pm

Jeez, where to begin. I was finally diagnosed with c-diff colitis last Friday. My MD sent me to the ER on Saturday morning after being up all night with a distended abdomen, severe cramping, and vomiting. I informed the ER that I have c-diff colitis (my MD wanted me to make that very clear upon arrival). The nurse looked at me like "and your point is?" At this point I had not started my flagyl. The ER staff did nothing but give me phenergan. I was exhausted, in pain, and thoroughly disgusted. They told me that it would be "rare" for me to pass this on to my husband or children. I felt like the ER doc was just patronizing me! I am sure that i looked terrible, I was wearing some ratty sweats because I could not get any of my pants to fit on my swollen abdomen. Needless to say, they did not do ANYTHING, no blood work, no scans. The only thing that they did do was listen for bowel sounds. My BP was 198/122, I normally run 110/70. Sorry to ramble, just very frustrated. I guess that I have a few questions that I hope someone can help me with.
Should the hospital have isolated me? Will I ever wake up (I sleep about 14 hrs a night)? I am light headed and tired all of the time, is there anything out there that helps?
I suppose that these questions are a start. Wow, I am so glad that I found this site. It's hard to find accurate answers on this diagnosis.
Thanks
Tracy

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:28 pm

rice28543,

Welcome to the site. Read the first forum ALL USERS READ THIS FIRST & its subtopics – especially the announcements: PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU POST and GUIDELINES FOR POSTING TO OUR DISCUSSION BOARDS. They will guide you in using the site & answer some of the most frequent questions. Read Dr. Borody’s & Dr. McDonald’s articles and some of the topics in FAQ – especially Hygiene, Nutrition, & Testing.

Let's hope you are one of the lucky ones who recover with one to two rounds of Flagyl or Vanco. If antibiotics contributed to your C. diff., be careful about taking them again. (See FAQ-Antibiotics.) Some people can tolerate them without a problem; some develop C. diff. again. (See Dr. Borody’s article.)

The above is my standard intro. First, how did you doc. make the diagnosis? Cultures, a colonscopy? Have you been on antibiotics recently? Most (but not all) cases involve antibiotics, particularly the broad spectrum ones.

Since you were just in the ER, it probably wasn't necessary to isolate you, but I hope everyone "scrubbed up" afterwards. Hygiene is very important in containing this disease.

Start the Flagyl the doc. prescribed. You should find relief in 3 to 4 days. If it doesn't work, Vanco. is usually the next "route." Very expensive so check your insurance policy.

You might try a heating pad & see if it helps the pain. No side effects & comforting warmth -- which you often won't get in a hospital. ER's are necessary, but many times, you take "pot luck" & the medical staff isn't compassionate. Often, it's because they are overworked & tired. Some appear to know little about C. diff. If you are unhappy with your treatment (the remark the nurse made was inexcusable), call the head of infection control or the CEO of the hospital.

If you are happy with your doc., stay with him/her for now. If your case turns out to be more chronic (& the odds are that it won't), I'd see a GI or an ID.

Let us know how you are doing. We know how you feel. Been there, done that -- horrible disease!

rice28543
Brand New Poster

Thank God for this site!

Postby rice28543 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:58 pm

Thanks for responding. I was a little frustrated when I made my initial post :), but better now. I will start with a little history. I am a 39 year old woman. I have always been fairly healthy. I was diagnosed with IBS in 2003 after a colonoscopy my Dr. ordered after having some bowel issues. Since February 2007 (appx), I have been ill once a month for about 3-4 days at a time. It was always the same, severe abdominal cramping, diarrhea alternating with constipation, and I could not get enough sleep. My husband and family probably thought that I had turned into a hypochondriac, I could never seem to be "100%" My Dr. ran several tests and we finally determined that it was probably my ovary. In March I had to go to the ER because I had all of the above symptoms plus an odd looking rash on my legs. The ER initially thought that it could be MRSA, but tests came back negative. The ER had put in an iv and gave me fluids and an antibiotic "just in case." I was sent home, only to be sick again in the beginning of April and again in May. Oh, and I am doing all of this with NO insurance ugh.
This past Friday (the 29th), I woke up with severe abdominal cramping accompanied with bloody diarrhea. I slept and I slept. I kept a journal this time, and was sleeping approximately 18-20 hours a day. I could not stay awake. Finally, went to the Dr on Tuesday. She actually took a stool sample first thing. They called me Friday to notify me that I tested positive for C. Diff Colitis and that they phoned in some flagyl to the pharmacy.
I used to work in the health care field, and was a little shocked. I don't think I have ever met anyone younger than 60 diagnosed with this. The most frustrating thing is that no 2 Dr's tell you the same thing about C. Diff! I have read quite a bit on this this past week, and am surprised that it is not common knowledge that this is out here.
This is my first (and hopefully last) round of Flagyl. Thankfully I have found a lot of answers on this website! It has been a Godsend.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Tracy

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:49 pm

Tracy,
I'm sure you've seen from your reading on this site that there are many people here who are younger than 60 and who have cdiff. More and more people are getting it all the time; the latest number that I saw was an estimate of 500,000 cases a year in the US. It's an estimate because cdiff is not required to be reported. I really hope, as you say, that you are on your last round of Flagyl. Good luck.

Ginger
New User

Postby Ginger » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:16 pm

Tracy,

I feel your pain, I went on omnicef for a sinus infection, 10 days before leaving for vacation to Arizona 4 days into the omnicef I got severe yucky looking crap coming out of me, cramps and vomiting, I too went to the ER, after laying there for 4 hours I asked for something for the nausea, my red blood count was low, so at least they took 7 viles of blood, they did a stool sample, of course it was a Friday so my test wasn't back until Monday, I was so sick...sent me home and Monday I went on flagyl, it worked ,, slowly,,,I did not get on an airplane of course, couldn't even imagine it!!!!! OH i ALSO HAD THE CHILLS,, i COULDN'T GET WARM.
I layed on the couch , running to the bathroom every 15 minutes, I through out all flannel boxers I owned not to run them thru my washer, I made my husband go to work as I didn't want anyone around me at all...nor watch tv, nor get on the computer, nor talk on the phone, its an isolated feeling,, ISN'T IT..I hope to never experience it again, BUT THE FEAR IS THERE!!!! Hope all goes well for you my friend!!!GINGER
ginger beane

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”