When should you go to the Doctor?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
impatient1
New User

When should you go to the Doctor?

Postby impatient1 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:19 am

I've been posting about my mom and C Diff, but last night I started getting sick myself.

Stomach pain, which I had for about a week. I didn't think it too odd b/c I already have IBS and have bouts of stomach pain from time to time.

Then last night I got diarrhea, this morning it was worse, I actually used the bathroom on myself a little (which I haven't done since I was a kid). It has a mucousy consistency. My sis says I feel like I have a fever, and I'm having chills. I just feel really weak, nauseous and crappy. I don't live with my mom, but I have visited her a lot during her illness.

Am I being paranoid b/c of my mom? Is this something I can just give some time to resolve, or should I go to be seen before/if it gets worse? How long did you guys wait before you actually went to the Doc? It may just be a stomach virus, and I'm willing to wait it out, but then again I have seen how my mom has gotten when she waited it out. Oh, I took a course of Z Pack about a month to a month and a half ago, right before my mom got sick. Could that play a role in getting C Diff after this long?

Jenny
Regular Contributor

Postby Jenny » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:42 am

Hi impatient1,

In my opinion, given your history, I would contact your Dr now, not to meet but to arrange for you to submit a stool sample to a lab. Testing does no harm, results take a little while and some Dr's don't like to treat without a test first. If symptoms go away in a few days, great, but if not you've got a head start. You could start some probies as soon as you have submitted a sample. Hopefully it is just a stomach bug. Keep yourself hydrated and try the BRAT diet if you can eat at all.

Hope you and your mom feel better soon.

Take Care

Jenny

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:32 am

I agree with Jenny. It is probably a "stomach bug" or your IBS, but it's best to be certain. Since your mother has C. diff., get a test "just in case." See FAQ-Tests.

impatient1
New User

Postby impatient1 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:07 pm

Well my fever is gone, and I've only had diarrhea once more. I feel better, just having some stomach pain. I feel winded a little easy too when up and about.

If I get any worse again I'll make an appt. with my GI. But if it is C Diff, is it possible for it to resolve on its own?

Thanks for responding guys.

Jenny
Regular Contributor

Postby Jenny » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:17 pm

I have heard that it is possible for c diff to resolve itself when antibiotics are the cause and then you stop the offending antibiotic. I would think it is possible to have c diff growing as part of your flora, just to cause trouble from time to time, but when ab's are involved c diff takes over and causes bigger problems. I do believe that it is possible that probiotics can in a healthy person keep c diff in check. Just my opinion, but most likely I think if you suffer from IBS that is what I would look to first as the culprit.

Jenny

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:19 pm

impatient1,
Read Dr. Borody's article. Yes, it is possible for C. diff. to resolve on its own. BUT if your symptoms become worse, do contact your doctor.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”