c. diff help

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
boozapie
Brand New Poster

c. diff help

Postby boozapie » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:23 pm

I have been suffering with c-diff for about six months now after having been put on clindamycin for shoulder surgery in January 2008. I have been seeing a gastroenterologist at Lahey Clinic in Burlington,MA.
I've been on three rounds of flagyl (10 days/ 14 days/21 days) and it helped some although I felt very nauseous the entire time I was on it. Each time I finished, a few days later, symptoms were back. I had a colonoscopy about 7 weeks ago and at that time the my doctor said every thing was clear. It seemed to settle down for a while after that, but then it started up again about 3 weeks ago. So now I've just finished 14 days of Vancomycin: that didn't do anything. The whole time I was on it I was still having 6 - 10 bowel movements a day. I am now on Questran Light. I've also been taking Nature's Bounty Probiotic Acidophilus 1xdaily for about two months now.
I would appreciate any advice.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:14 pm

boozapie,
Welcome to the site. Read the first forum ALL USERS READ THIS FIRST & its subtopics – especially the announcements: PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU POST and GUIDELINES FOR POSTING TO OUR DISCUSSION BOARDS. They will guide you in using the site & answer some of the most frequent questions. Read Dr. Borody’s & Dr. McDonald’s articles and some of the topics in FAQ – especially Hygiene, Nutrition, & Testing.

Evidently, you are not one of the lucky ones who recover with one to two rounds of Flagyl or Vanco. Clindamycin is the first antibiotic implicated in C. diff. -- can be "bad stuff." Since antibiotics contributed to your C. diff., be careful about taking them again. (See FAQ-Antibiotics.) Some people can tolerate them without a problem; some develop C. diff. again. (See Dr. Borody’s article.)

If you were on Flagyl or Vanco. when you had the colonscopy, the med. could have affected the results. Best to be off both meds. for 10 to 14 days for best results.

Many people develop side effects while on Flagyl. Vanco. goes "right to the gut" & usually has fewer side effects & is often more effective. Sorry to hear it isn't helping you.

Space your probiotic & your Questran as far apart from the Vanco. as you can. Questran will "bind" other meds. (including Vanco. & Flagyl) & make them less effective. There is more info. about probiotics in Treatments & FAQ. Some swear by them; others don't think they help. C. diff. is a very "individual disease."

I see you live near Boston. There are several docs. listed in Doctors people on the site who had recurrent/relapsing C. diff. used with good results. You might consider contacting one of them.

Also, about l out of 5 people with C. diff. develop IBS afterwards. The sypmtoms are similar. See FAQ-IBS & FAQ-Three Day Rule (not a medical tool but just a "layman's rule of thumb."

Let us know how you are doing.

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:31 pm

what dose of vanco were you on? Normal is 250 mg's 4 times a day.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:50 pm

boozapie,
Some docs. start you on 125 mg. a day. If you feel it isn't working, you might suggest higher dosage of 250 mg. a day to your doc.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”