Anti Bacterial Soaps, Gels and Lotions

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
asusa
New User

Anti Bacterial Soaps, Gels and Lotions

Postby asusa » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:04 pm

Is anyone studying the rise of c.diff to see if it correlates to the rise of use of these antibacterial products by the public?

Could it be that we are inadvertantly killing off our own 'good' guys with these products so that these 'bad' cdiff guys can procreate?

Susanne - tired of it after 2 years' worth.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:36 pm

asusa,
Yes, there have been some studies (I don't know how many or how accurate they were) that indicated overuse of antibacterial products can cause problems. I still use them, however, but in moderation.

I'd ask your doc. and/or your pharmacist.

maryinflorida
Regular Contributor

Postby maryinflorida » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:13 pm

After I came home from the hospital with CDiff I became obsessed with using bleach and antibacterial soaps all over the house, until it hit me: am I killing too many of the bugs I need to fight CDiff? I now only use an antibacterial soap before I do any cooking, and just wash my hands after going to the bathroom. I know I'm taking a chance but I am actively trying to welcome bacteria into my intestinal track, hopefully the beneficial kind. Probiotics might help keep Cdiff at bay for a while but they are only a temporary solution; a healthy intestinal flora is really the only solution and you don't get that by having a totally sterile lifestyle. I trully believe that to beat this superbug we need to get back in the dirt!

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:52 pm

Hmm what are ways to actually get the bacteria back in our bodies and I wonder how long it takes and I wish we could know if it happened or not.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:01 pm

jankelly,
We all have loads of bacteria on our skin at all times. They only cause problems if other factors occur (cut on skin, aging, etc.) I am not in the medical field, however. Ask your doc.

I use anti-bacterial soap as you do, maryinflorida (before cooking, after shopping, after bathroom visits). With C. diff. & everything else, the only thing that has worked for me is, "Everything in moderation, nothing to excess."

I do think we can be "too clean" but once you have C. diff., you are more apt to take precautions. I went to a campaign meeting tonight, & they brought in deli sandwiches. Everyone was touching them. Years ago, this wouldn't have bothered me at all. It does now - esp. since I am leaving on a trip soon. I used a "wash & dry" (alcohol wipe) & then chose a sandwich from the bottom. If I am sitting near someone who is obviously sick (at a meeting or in a movie), I get up quietly & move. (Since C. diff., I'm prone to infections; had pneumonia 5 X incl. other infections.)

maryinflorida
Regular Contributor

Postby maryinflorida » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:01 pm

I too tend to get away from people that are sneezing or coughing and always wipe the handlebar in the shopping cart at the supermarket, since I'm not looking for those kinds of germs. But I think we all agree that after CDiff we tend to become hyperaware and a little paranoid about bugs around us. Could that be part of the problem and one of the reasons for the frequent relapses? We become so anti-germ and create such a sterile environment at home that we make it impossible for the good bacteria to come back. I think that infussions may be the most direct way to replenish our flora but getting "back to nature" might work as well.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:20 am

maryinflorida,
Altho. I think the mind plays a large part in recovering, there are other factors. Read Dr. Borody's article about relapsing/recurrent C.diff.

marscan
Regular Contributor

Postby marscan » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:22 am

actually my newly acquired germaphobia kept me from getting a single sinus infection this past winter - a milestone for me. Im stickin to my new "leave the public restrooms elbows first" move, thank you..lol :)
"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac....."

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:18 am

Thanks Bobbie is there a certain amount of time it takes to replenish the good bacteria and is there any way to know if we have or not?

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:24 am

YAHOO today the article DOES IN FACT say that the germicidals are contributing YES to the spread of bad B!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maryinflorida
Regular Contributor

Postby maryinflorida » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:32 am

Ditto here about using elbows (or a paper towel) when exiting public bathrooms! Plus I usually try not to even sit down...I hover a few inches over the toilet seat! But again, that's not what I mean by "getting back to nature" in search of friendly germs. I'm talking about not running to wash my hands after rolling in the grass with my dog, or pruning and watering the plants by the pool, or scrubbing & refilling the birdbaths, or petting the neighbor's dog, or raking & bagging leaves, or hugging someone. I am also talking about not obsessively washing every piece of fruit I put in my mouth with soap and water, and eating salads and other un-cooked things that may bring a few germs with them. But I have also been buying more organic products to avoid some of the antibiotics and pesticides I don't want in my diet. And eating lots of yogurt (bacteria) is also part of my getting back to nature post-Cdiff survival lifestyle. So far, it seems to be working for me.
One bad bacteria made us sick, but others might be able to help, so let's roll out the red carpet and welcome them into our bodies, because until that vaccine is available (if ever!) there is no better way to keep CDiff at bay.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:44 pm

maryinflorida,
I love to garden, & I hate garden gloves so my fingernails sometimes have dirt under them even after I've washed my hands & scrubbed my nails. To me, this is "good dirt" (although there are C. diff. bacteria in the soil -- but probably there are some everywhere).

Remember my often quoted motto, "Everything in moderation; nothing to excess."

maryinflorida
Regular Contributor

Postby maryinflorida » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:16 pm

Bobbie,

I totally agree with your motto!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”