Cleaning Home After Clostridium Difficile

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
dbever
Brand New Poster

Cleaning Home After Clostridium Difficile

Postby dbever » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:10 pm

My Mother recently passed away from C-Diff. I have been searching for information on how to clean up the home. However everything I have been able to find only talks about cleaning it off of hard surfaces. What about carpet and upholstery, should they just be replaced? My Dad is still living there, and we know she had several accidents on the carpet. What about books, papers and pictures we know she was working with. Do different strains require different cleaning methods? We need to clean it up rather quickly as we don't want to isolate our Dad, or expose him any further. Many grandchildren and great grandchildren want to visit him as well.

Thanks for any info anyone can supply.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:06 pm

dbever,
Condolences on the loss of your mother. Here is some information about the site. You probably are most interested in FAQ-Hygiene.

Welcome to the site. Read the first forum ALL USERS READ THIS FIRST & its subtopics – especially the announcements: PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU POST and GUIDELINES FOR POSTING TO OUR DISCUSSION BOARDS. They will guide you in using the site & answer some of the most frequent questions. Read Dr. Borody’s & Dr. McDonald’s articles and some of the topics in FAQ – especially Hygiene, Nutrition, & Testing.

Use your own judgment re. cleaning the carpet & furniture. My son had C. diff. twice many years ago before it was known you could "catch" C. diff. from another person, & no one else in the family got it. I had C. diff. twice many years later, & no one else in the family did. Again, not much was known about its "catchiness."

Concentrate cleaning the bathrooms & the places on the rug. The bleach solution is l part bleach to 9 parts water. I'd also check with your mother's doctors re. cleaning.

Again, so sorry about your mother. Pls. educate others about this horrible illness. It is too late for your mother, but might help you as you grieve over the loss of your mother. And do have everyone make a special effort to wash their hands before & after visiting your father.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”