Scared and have to go on antibiotic!

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
mommy2maddi
Regular User

Scared and have to go on antibiotic!

Postby mommy2maddi » Fri May 30, 2008 9:24 am

SO,

I posted earlier this week that DD has pneumonia. Well she shared her germs. I have tried EVERYTHING homeopathic to avoid going on antibiotics and last night started with SEVERE jaw pain/cheek pain from an infected sinus (I have a sinus infection). I did not sleep at all. To make matters worse I woke up with pink eye! I am scared to death to take another round of antibiotics. I already read the post about "safer" antibiotics to take so I know that. I am about 5 weeks out since finishing my 1st round of Flagyl, and have had 2 negative stool samples. I am in sooo much pain. To make matters worse I am 9 months pregnant and so afraid of the CDIFF. Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated!

Nicole

Mommy to Maddi 1/3/06
Jack due 7/4/08

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Fri May 30, 2008 10:04 am

Just to let you know I have been on erythromycin and zpack since cdiff and did ok. Are trying nose sprays like nasonex or something? Since using that about everyday I havent had an infection and I used to get the alot. ALso while I was on the antibiotics I upt my probiotic to two a day. Good luck..

Sue
Regular User

Postby Sue » Fri May 30, 2008 10:32 am

You mentioned using homeopathic remedies - these may be the same, but here's what has worked for me... I have used nasal irrigation to treat sinus infections. It takes a while - but with irrigation (netti pot or similar device), cold compresses, and drinking lots of water, I have been able to avoid antibiotics. I also had a brush with an eye infection that I treated with warm compresses (wet facecloth). My eye doctor told me that you need to really be consistant with using the compresses at least 3-4 times a day. Also, any time I have been exposed to anything bacterial, I have taken garlic tablets. It is a natural antibiotic & I think it has really helped me with sinus infections in the past.
Good luck!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri May 30, 2008 12:23 pm

mommy2maddi,
See FAQ-Infections for tips on how to treat sinus infections at home. Do you have an ENT? If so, he might be able to prescribe a liquid antibiotic for you that you "squirt" up you nose - like saline irrigation. It has little absorption. I'd see an ENT because they have methods that can diagnose a sinus infection more accurately.

Treat lots of water & you might try Mucinex -- an over the counter expectorant. It will help break up the congestion.

If your eyes don't respond to the hot compresses, your doc. might prescribe sulfa eye drops. There is little absorption from them. Several times the doc. wanted to put me on a stronger eye drop, but I refused.

Good luck. You have a lot going on now. Try to rest as much as possible to help your body recover.

crissiej
Regular User

Postby crissiej » Fri May 30, 2008 12:34 pm

There was a study done that said people who didn't get antibiotics got better at the same rate as those with. Do nasal washes, drink water, take mucinex, blow your nose a lot. That is what I do.....

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”